Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


I am going to be watching a young cat soon who likes to play with electric cords. I probably should know more about electrical safety than I do, but I want to cat-proof my house. I know that if I unplug a lamp, appliance, etc. the cord, if chewed, should not give the cat a shock. However, I do not know if a lamp, etc. would be safe left plugged in, but not turned on. Is there the possibility of electrical shock from chewing a cord if something is plugged into the wall, but is turned off? Thank you!

sljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,252
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


Yes, if a cat chewed through a lamp cord that was plugged in, it would get shocked regardless of the on/off position of the lamp. The cord always has electricity in it, it is cut off at the lamp switch.

__________________
Andrew

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Rewards Points: 2,000
Blog Entries: 7
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


ALSO, if kitty is chewing un-plugged electrical items they should NOT be plugged back in until they are inspected for ANY damage. And really, if Mr or Mrs Kat is going to town on electrical cords they can be damaged but the damage can be difficult to see, putting you and the cat in danger.

Bottom line. Kitty MUST be stopped. Wires must be protected. Good luck!
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 324
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


I'd give the cat a nice, live 220V cord to chew on. That should solve the problem quickly!

Seriously, though: If I was hosting such a cat, I'd keep it in a cordless room, or in a kennel box when unattended. Not worth the risk to cat or home (i.e., you and your family) to risk chewed-up electrical lines!
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


wire loom works great for this, i put it on most of my cords when my cats were kittens
naehring2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,299
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


You can also rub Tobasco sauce on all of the wires the cat has access to. It probably won't want to chew the wires after the first few tastes.

I never had a problem with our cats or dog chewing wires, so I haven't personally tried the Tobasco trick.

Good luck!

Barb
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 594
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
You can also rub Tobasco sauce on all of the wires the cat has access to. It probably won't want to chew the wires after the first few tastes.
What if kitty is cajun?
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,299
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


It'll just add a little spice to his life.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


Thanks to all for the helpful information. And also for the laughs!
sljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,794
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


Just tell the cats not to chew on the electric cords...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


Yah it's indeed the case that anything plugged in has current in the wires. There's two wires - a hot and a neutral - and the hot ALWAYS has current in it, and the switch on the device or in the cord switches the hot on and off to the device. If you were to take apart your lamp and touch the point where the cord connects to the socket, even if the switch was off, you'd get a shock if you touched the hot.

Thankfully none of my cats ever were cord-chewers.

fm
fdmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


With my cats I use either Pepper or Tobasco sauce one of the two they will get the message across with Pepper they will snezze few time but with Tobasco sauce they will really give up fast.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 511
Rewards Points: 284
Default

Question about electrical shock chewing cords


Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmillion View Post
Yah it's indeed the case that anything plugged in has current in the wires. There's two wires - a hot and a neutral - and the hot ALWAYS has current in it, and the switch on the device or in the cord switches the hot on and off to the device. If you were to take apart your lamp and touch the point where the cord connects to the socket, even if the switch was off, you'd get a shock if you touched the hot.

Thankfully none of my cats ever were cord-chewers.

fm
The hot wire always has voltage on it. The switch interrupts the current (no current flow other than leakage).

Mark

busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Electrical / Car Stereo Question pjpjpjpj Electrical 4 08-12-2012 06:59 PM
Code Question: Electrical and plumbing ELurie Electrical 2 08-22-2007 08:55 PM
Noob question for basement finish electrical dtmbizzle Electrical 16 07-11-2007 07:08 AM
Electrical Switch Question Boatnuts Remodeling 2 03-30-2007 05:56 PM
Electrical receptacle replacement question sherlock Electrical 7 05-20-2005 03:33 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.