DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Question about electrical shock chewing cords (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/question-about-electrical-shock-chewing-cords-65242/)

sljacobs 02-24-2010 11:52 AM

Question about electrical shock chewing cords
 
I am going to be watching a young cat soon who likes to play with electric cords. I probably should know more about electrical safety than I do, but I want to cat-proof my house. I know that if I unplug a lamp, appliance, etc. the cord, if chewed, should not give the cat a shock. However, I do not know if a lamp, etc. would be safe left plugged in, but not turned on. Is there the possibility of electrical shock from chewing a cord if something is plugged into the wall, but is turned off? Thank you!

secutanudu 02-24-2010 11:55 AM

Yes, if a cat chewed through a lamp cord that was plugged in, it would get shocked regardless of the on/off position of the lamp. The cord always has electricity in it, it is cut off at the lamp switch.

Leah Frances 02-24-2010 12:06 PM

ALSO, if kitty is chewing un-plugged electrical items they should NOT be plugged back in until they are inspected for ANY damage. And really, if Mr or Mrs Kat is going to town on electrical cords they can be damaged but the damage can be difficult to see, putting you and the cat in danger.

Bottom line. Kitty MUST be stopped. Wires must be protected. Good luck!

Itsdanf 02-24-2010 12:56 PM

I'd give the cat a nice, live 220V cord to chew on. That should solve the problem quickly! :laughing:

Seriously, though: If I was hosting such a cat, I'd keep it in a cordless room, or in a kennel box when unattended. Not worth the risk to cat or home (i.e., you and your family) to risk chewed-up electrical lines!

naehring2000 02-24-2010 01:43 PM

wire loom works great for this, i put it on most of my cords when my cats were kittens

gma2rjc 02-24-2010 03:10 PM

You can also rub Tobasco sauce on all of the wires the cat has access to. It probably won't want to chew the wires after the first few tastes.

I never had a problem with our cats or dog chewing wires, so I haven't personally tried the Tobasco trick.

Good luck!

Barb

operagost 02-24-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gma2rjc (Post 405342)
You can also rub Tobasco sauce on all of the wires the cat has access to. It probably won't want to chew the wires after the first few tastes.

What if kitty is cajun?
:laughing:

gma2rjc 02-24-2010 05:47 PM

It'll just add a little spice to his life. :pinch:

sljacobs 02-24-2010 06:17 PM

Thanks to all for the helpful information. And also for the laughs!

vsheetz 02-24-2010 09:37 PM

Just tell the cats not to chew on the electric cords... :thumbsup:

fdmillion 02-24-2010 10:48 PM

Yah it's indeed the case that anything plugged in has current in the wires. There's two wires - a hot and a neutral - and the hot ALWAYS has current in it, and the switch on the device or in the cord switches the hot on and off to the device. If you were to take apart your lamp and touch the point where the cord connects to the socket, even if the switch was off, you'd get a shock if you touched the hot.

Thankfully none of my cats ever were cord-chewers.

fm

frenchelectrican 02-24-2010 11:18 PM

With my cats I use either Pepper or Tobasco sauce one of the two they will get the message across with Pepper they will snezze few time but with Tobasco sauce they will really give up fast.

Merci,
Marc

busman 02-25-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdmillion (Post 405583)
Yah it's indeed the case that anything plugged in has current in the wires. There's two wires - a hot and a neutral - and the hot ALWAYS has current in it, and the switch on the device or in the cord switches the hot on and off to the device. If you were to take apart your lamp and touch the point where the cord connects to the socket, even if the switch was off, you'd get a shock if you touched the hot.

Thankfully none of my cats ever were cord-chewers.

fm

The hot wire always has voltage on it. The switch interrupts the current (no current flow other than leakage).

Mark


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved