Question About Drilling To Run Cable...hit Metal Plate. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question about drilling to run cable...hit metal plate.

Hello all,

I started a project to add a light switch to my dining room for the existing light above our dining table. It is currently controlled by a switch in our living room.

The wall that I want to add the outlet too has no switches on it but it does have an electrical outlet. The other side of the wall is a bathroom. No electrical or water on the bathroom side of the wall.

I went into the attic and located the top plate that I wanted to drill into to run the romex. Here's where it gets confusing. There is a 2x6 that sits on top of the 2x4 top plate. The 2x6 goes from one joist to the next joist in a perpendicular orientation. I drill through the 2x6 and discovered that there is metal underneath. Is this a steel frame? Is it safe to continue drilling? Obviously, a metal plate means that there is something underneath that I shouldn't drill. But am I just assuming that? I don't see any gas lines or water lines that would run between the studs on this wall. We've already relocated the hot water through the attic. I'm not sure where the cold water is running.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Chris

Advertisement

Last edited by chrisngo; 01-19-2014 at 05:41 PM.
chrisngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

My best guess without seeing a picture would be that the 2x6 running perpendicular is what we call a rat run which it to stiffen up the trusses. A picture of the metal plate would be very helpful. But I would think that this is we're 2 walls join together and that the plate is to attach the 2 walls together.

Advertisement

framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer View Post
My best guess without seeing a picture would be that the 2x6 running perpendicular is what we call a rat run which it to stiffen up the trusses. A picture of the metal plate would be very helpful. But I would think that this is we're 2 walls join together and that the plate is to attach the 2 walls together.
You are correct. I can't see the plate, all I know is that it is under the 2x6. The walls the join together are the corners (90 deg) meeting of two walls.

Is it safe to drill, in your opinion?

EDIT: I think the metal is a connector plate with an extra wooden 2x6 top plate to strengthen (solidify) the connection. Is this common practice?

I will try to get pictures soon. I will have to get back into the attic.

Thank you.
Chris

Last edited by chrisngo; 01-19-2014 at 09:47 PM.
chrisngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I would not try and drill through it its around a 1/16 or 1/8 in of steel and it would be a real slow go thying to get through it. Just move over a few inches and then drill your hole. You can move the wire side to side once its in the wall.
framer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framer For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-20-2014)