DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about bathrooms

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  justin_bliar 
#1 ·
So I am working on planning for redoing the electrical to the two bathrooms in my house. They are back to back with one being located in the master bedroom. I am trying to not go crazy with running too many circuits here but don't want to compromise on doing this right. Both will have a fan/light/heater, a vanity and the required 20amp outlet. Can I run the vanity lights off the 20amp circuit and run another 20amp to the fan/light/heater units? Any way I can get away with running fewer circuits, my panel is getting full.

#10 ·
Just a note; if you replace a receptacle that would require GFI protection under the current code you would need to provide it. The grandfathering does not apply in this case.

Reactions: SD515
#22 ·
Eliminate the second circuit for the receptacles…put them both on one circuit. Or if you’re worried about tripping the breaker from overload, put the receptacle and lights of one bath on one circuit, the other bath lights and receptacle on another. Either way, it’s 2 circuits…plus 2 circuits dedicated to the heaters=4 circuits. Some heaters require a circuit of their own, not to be shared with the fan/light, but like you said, check the instructions.

If you go with fan/lights without a heater, just get one that has enough cfm and looks nice.

#23 ·
Ok that's much more clear to me, sorry it took me a bit to understand it all. I think I will do as you say and put the lights on the outlets. They are florescent and the draw will be pretty low. That way as AllenJ said if 2 people want to run a hair dryer at the same time they won't blow the breaker.

#2 ·
Yes, if you want it that way, you can keep it. Otherwise if you are like me, and like to have the lights still on, when someone trips the gfci for the outlet, you put all of the lights on the same circuit as the bedrooms. As long as you do not exceed the expected load of the breaker that is the OCPD (Over-Current Protection Device).

#3 ·
Can I run the power to the light before the gfci outlet? I'm trying to keep it down to 4 20amp circuits (2 each bathroom) for the bathrooms instead of 6 (3 each bathroom). The bathrooms are pretty small maybe 10x5.

For the master bath I might just run the vanity off the bedroom light circuit as there will only be one light and possible a plug in the closet for future led or florescent closet lighting. Either way there will be other lighting circuits available if the gfci kills the lights or the breaker blows.

#6 ·
So I am working on planning for redoing the electrical to the two bathrooms in my house. They are back to back with one being located in the master bedroom. I am trying to not go crazy with running too many circuits here but don't want to compromise on doing this right. Both will have a fan/light/heater, a vanity and the required 20amp outlet. Can I run the vanity lights off the 20amp circuit and run another 20amp to the fan/light/heater units? Any way I can get away with running fewer circuits, my panel is getting full.
However you may run into a issue the fan/light/heater unit they WILL required a seperated circuit due the heater wattage.

So therefore if you have both bathroom will have the fan/light/heater then it will each have it own circuit.

But for the RCD ( GFCI ) receptale you have couple option you can do is.,

A. have both RCD receptale on that circuit and the lights from other circuits ( not for the F/L/H unit svp )

B.have each bathroom it own circuit for all the items (again not for the F/L/H )

so there is two option you can do with it but as I mention above the fan/light/heater will have it own heater and by the way don't bother use the single gang switch for F/L/H unit get two or three gang switch box for this one.

Merci,
Marc

#7 · (Edited)
Sorry I wasn't clear, yes I will be putting each F/L/H on it's own 20 amp circuit. I will also be installing another 20amp circuit to each bathroom for gfi outlets. I guess I will run the vanity lights off the bedroom circuit as it has a very light load, I will however make that lighting circuit 20amp running it with 12/2. Does that sound ok to you?

Yes I will have a three gang box for each F/L/H with a timer for the fan, maybe a timer for the heater, and a switch for the light. I will also be moving the old two gang box to the other corner of the room as far away from the shower as I can make it as currently it is 6" away from the shower.

#12 ·
I fit were me, I’d run 4 new circuits. Each heater portion of the F/L/H getting its own 20A circuit. Another 20A circuit for the receptacles. A 15A circuit for the lights & fans. Use a 3-gang box for 3 switches.

You mention your house has old 2 wire circuits and other problems, I’d stay away from tapping onto those and just run new circuits for the baths.

#13 · (Edited)
It is a good idea to put the heater/fan/light units on their own circuits. One 20 amp circuit can power both heaters provided there are no receptacles on that circuit and the total load is less than 1900 watts (950 watts for light and fan and heater of each unit).

It is a good idea to run individual 20 amp circuits for each bathroom in case people want to use hair dryers at the same time.

The bathroom lights can be fed by either the bathroom's receptacle circuit (serving only loads in that bathroom) or by the heater circuit.

#16 ·
The old memory loss from the glue sniffing habit? Or do you want to borrow my excuse of old age?

Note: this is a running inside joke and should not be considered to mean anything else.

#18 ·
Yes I understand each F/L/H will need there own 20 amp circuit. That will be 5 circuits then, I only have 30 spots but I suppose if things get tight I can put a few of those duplex breakers in. Wow it is really amazing how quickly the space is filling up. Next stop planning the kitchen, that's gonna take up a lot more!

Thanks for the advice.

#24 ·
Reason I suggested running a circuit for the lights and not tapping off the existing is Justin said the wiring in the house was a mess, and old 2 wire no ground. Another can of worms to get into.

#21 ·
Maybe I'm confused, or not being clear. I'm re-doing 2 bathrooms back to back, both will have new F/L/H units as you noted there will be 20 amp circuits to the heater portion (if the manufacturer states dedicated 20 amp for the heater portion). (1 each 20 amp for heater portion * 2 bathrooms = 2 circuits) Each bathroom will get a dedicated GFI outlet 20 amp. (1 each 20 amp for outlets * 2 bathrooms = 2 circuits) Each bathroom will have a 4 light vanity/light and fan. (1 each 20 amp circuit shared between the two bathroom = 1 circuit).

Is that correct? If there is a better way I'd like to do that instead. Also note if the manufacturer of the F/L/H states just a dedicated line for the whole unit I will do that instead of just the heater portion. I'm looking at the 80cfm panasonic. Maybe I will forgo the heater all together, I have forced air heat and vents in each room. The panasonic unit without the heater looks kind of ugly, anyone have and recommendations on different units?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.