Question About AFCI And Ontario Code As Well As Some Other General Wiring Queries - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Question about AFCI and Ontario code as well as some other general wiring queries

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can clear up some confusion about AFCI requirements in Ontario. I'm finishing my basement which will include one "bedroom", a main open area, bathroom, cold room, laundry room and mechanical (last two are combined). My questions are as follows:
  1. Which circuits will require AFCI protection according to Ontario code?
  2. My current understanding is that a bedroom requires AFCI protection, what constitutes a "bedroom" in my situation?
  3. Are there any special considerations for outlets and lighting in a cold room?

Another (maybe dumb) question, can junction boxes be installed in joist bays (which will be covered up by drywall later)? I assume they can but I do recall reading somewhere that junction boxes cannot be "hidden". Any comments on this?

Lastly (for now at least), could someone perhaps comment on my general assumptions and things I've done:
  1. All 15A brakers (except for AC, electric dryer etc.)
  2. 14/2 wiring for all 15A circuits
  3. Lights and power outlets on separate circuits (for convenience mostly)
  4. Circuits all have around 10 devices on each (calculated for ~10A draw with most devices on at 120V)

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Martin

Advertisement

Last edited by drunken0monkey; 06-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.
drunken0monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Question about AFCI and Ontario code as well as some other general wiring queries

In most places I know, junction boxes cannot be hidden. Even if they by code could be, why would you want to, if you were to ever have a problem with the circuit not working then you wouldn't have to tear things apart to get at the junction box to see if it was the problem.

They do make solid face plates to cover the box, and some decorative ones too.

Advertisement

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

According to the electrical code only the plugs in the bedroom need the arc fault. Ontario may go above and beyond that.

Your plan sounds good, you said you were putting 10 devices on each circuit which is fine but just remember the max is 12.

The other thing people always miss is the smoke detector, you need one near the bedroom and it has to be interconnected with any other smoke detectors in the house.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Before you put in an AFCI make some measurements to see that it won't trip the minute that it is installed.
This includes seeing current in the ground wires due to RFI filters in appliances or for other reasons
and
return current in the neutral being different than the current in the hot lead.

If you have dimmers or speed controls or home automation circuitry you may also get nuisance trips.

Drunken Monkey = Zui Quan is a category of techniques, forms and fighting philosophy that appear to imitate a drunkard's movements.
?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-11-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken0monkey View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can clear up some confusion about AFCI requirements in Ontario. I'm finishing my basement which will include one "bedroom", a main open area, bathroom, cold room, laundry room and mechanical (last two are combined). My questions are as follows:
  1. Which circuits will require AFCI protection according to Ontario code?
  2. My current understanding is that a bedroom requires AFCI protection, what constitutes a "bedroom" in my situation?
  3. Are there any special considerations for outlets and lighting in a cold room?
Another (maybe dumb) question, can junction boxes be installed in joist bays (which will be covered up by drywall later)? I assume they can but I do recall reading somewhere that junction boxes cannot be "hidden". Any comments on this?

Lastly (for now at least), could someone perhaps comment on my general assumptions and things I've done:
  1. All 15A brakers (except for AC, electric dryer etc.)
  2. 14/2 wiring for all 15A circuits
  3. Lights and power outlets on separate circuits (for convenience mostly)
  4. Circuits all have around 10 devices on each (calculated for ~10A draw with most devices on at 120V)
Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Martin
i assume your wiring the rest as per normal....don't forget your gfci in the bath and if your laundry room has a washbasin then gfci all around that room as well with the dryer and washer plugs no more than 600mm off the floor. If they are higher they have to be gfci protected as well.

home depot sells a little handbook for $9 that has all the rules for residential in one handy little place. Translated from lawyer to english by inspectors. Based on the ontario code. If your more than just a once a year DIY'er i strongly recomend having it....well worth the price.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,566

Bedroom receptacles are required to AFCI. Lighting is not required to be AFCI but it can be if you wish. Smokes must NOT be AFCI.
All receptacles are now required to be tamper proof.
You can not bury a junction box above a dry wall ceiling unless you install a hatch to get access to it.
Light MUST be on 15 amp circuits.
Maximum 12 outlets ( lights & receptacles) on a circuit.
Laundry room must be a separate circuit for laundry room only.

Advertisement