Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

PVC vs EMC Outdoor Wiring Under Deck

I'm in the process of planning to wire up two spot lights on the face of my deck as well as running an outlet (which will also be under the deck) for a LV transformer to plug in to. I will need a few junction boxes to achieve this, as well as electrical boxes for the two spot lights. I'm planning on running 12AWG THWN through some sort of conduit run along the joists to the various lighting locations and junction boxes. This will be between 3' to 8' above the surface of the ground and under roof for the most part (we built a roof over the majority of the deck as well).

So, do you recommend PVC and plastic boxes or EMC and the appropriate boxes?

mgh-pa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,128

Since this is a DIY site, I would use PVC based on ease of installation (and price).

The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
jbfan (04-21-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

PVC conduit with cast metal (weatherproof) boxes. All receptacles located in wet or damp locations must be water tight and have "in use" covers mounted to them. Just ask for "Bell" boxes and you will get the right kind. This is a trade name and I am not sure what the actual name of the box is other than water tight/weather resistant outdoor connection box. They come in single and double gang sizes and have threaded hubs instead of knockouts.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
PVC conduit with cast metal (weatherproof) boxes. All receptacles located in wet or damp locations must be water tight and have "in use" covers mounted to them. Just ask for "Bell" boxes and you will get the right kind. This is a trade name and I am not sure what the actual name of the box is other than water tight/weather resistant outdoor connection box. They come in single and double gang sizes and have threaded hubs instead of knockouts.
JV

Why do you recommend Bell boxes over PVC boxes? I don't have a problem but they require more fittings than PVC boxes with solvent weld hubs. Also I live on the coast in SC and I find those boxes tend to corrode quickly and seize up the yoke device mounting screws.

RJ
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
JV

Why do you recommend Bell boxes over PVC boxes? I don't have a problem but they require more fittings than PVC boxes with solvent weld hubs. Also I live on the coast in SC and I find those boxes tend to corrode quickly and seize up the yoke device mounting screws.

RJ
Sorry I missed your question. I just saw it.
Actually I like Bell boxes for the usual reason. Its what I am used to using. Back in the old days "Bell" boxes were about the only choice for outdoor use. I guess its old outdated thinking. I agree the PVC box is better for your area and just might be better all around.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

After dealing with many, many corroded and leaky metal weatherproof boxes, I now only use and recommend PVC, and always apply silicone to the top and sides of the cover-box seam.