Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #1

Share |

PVC conduit questions

There is another post on here that talks about burying conduit, but I didn't want to hijack that post. I have my own project coming up and I'll need to bury a conduit. I have some questions that I'd like to get clarification on:

1. I have to run about 60 feet of PVC conduit from the pole to my new meter location. Which way should I point the belled ends of the conduit? Does it matter? I was going to point the belled ends towards the pole to make pulling the line easier.

2. Do I have to use all belled end conduit/fittings or is it ok to mix some regular couplers in there?

3. Is schedule 40 conduit ok for the entire system? I was reading that some people use schedule 80 where the conduit comes out of the ground?

4. Is there any difference between the brands? Carlon vs JM Eagle vs Cantex. Is it ok to mix conduit, fittings and cement from different brands?

5. I saw some discussion about water in the other post. Around here, it looks like the power company leaves the top of the conduit open on the pole, so rainwater can get in. My conduit will be "U" shaped. It will come down the pole, make a 90 degree turn, run horizontal and then make a 90 degree turn up to the meter. Is there a chance that water could fill the conduit and then rise into the meter box? If so, how would you stop this? Or does the power company sonehow plug the top of the conduit at the pole?

6. Where the conduit comes out of the ground vertically, is an expansion fitting normally needed? At the pole and below the meter? I'm in Delaware, so we see 90 degree days in the summer and 20 degree days in the winter.

7. I have really rocky soil on my property, so there will probably end up being rocks in the bottom of my conduit trench. Will this harm the PVC? Should I put down some sand before laying the conduit?

8. I'll probably assemble the conduit on the ground and then lower it into the trench. The cement says to wait 30 mins for setup time and up to 24 hours before really handling the conduit. I know the PVC is pretty flexible. If I wait an hour and then lower the conduit into the trench, would this be too much stress for the joints too soon?

Sorry for what are probably really dumb questions, but I've never worked with this stuff. I try to do things the right way and never know if something needs to be scrutinized more or if I'm over-complicating things. As soon as I think I have a grasp of everything, something gets forgotten and I learn a hard lesson. Thanks for any answers/help!!

powertoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

PVC conduit questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoolguy View Post

1. I have to run about 60 feet of PVC conduit from the pole to my new meter location. Which way should I point the belled ends of the conduit? Does it matter? I was going to point the belled ends towards the pole to make pulling the line easier.

Makes little difference which way they are pointed. Use your own discrection.

2. Do I have to use all belled end conduit/fittings or is it ok to mix some regular couplers in there?

Either way. No problem.

3. Is schedule 40 conduit ok for the entire system? I was reading that some people use schedule 80 where the conduit comes out of the ground?

Is this being installed for the power company (DP&L)? They have their own specs.

4. Is there any difference between the brands? Carlon vs JM Eagle vs Cantex. Is it ok to mix conduit, fittings and cement from different brands?

PVC conduit is a commodity item. Mix and match.

5. I saw some discussion about water in the other post. Around here, it looks like the power company leaves the top of the conduit open on the pole, so rainwater can get in. My conduit will be "U" shaped. It will come down the pole, make a 90 degree turn, run horizontal and then make a 90 degree turn up to the meter. Is there a chance that water could fill the conduit and then rise into the meter box? If so, how would you stop this? Or does the power company sonehow plug the top of the conduit at the pole?

Any cables installed in an underground conduit system should be rated for wet locations. Most likely that conduit will fill up with water over time.

6. Where the conduit comes out of the ground vertically, is an expansion fitting normally needed? At the pole and below the meter? I'm in Delaware, so we see 90 degree days in the summer and 20 degree days in the winter.

Some inspectors are requiring this now. Not sure about Delaware, however. Again, if this is for the POCO, then follow their specifications, as this is beyond the jurisdiction of the inspection agencies.

7. I have really rocky soil on my property, so there will probably end up being rocks in the bottom of my conduit trench. Will this harm the PVC? Should I put down some sand before laying the conduit?

Depends on the rocks. Sand can't hurt.

8. I'll probably assemble the conduit on the ground and then lower it into the trench. The cement says to wait 30 mins for setup time and up to 24 hours before really handling the conduit. I know the PVC is pretty flexible. If I wait an hour and then lower the conduit into the trench, would this be too much stress for the joints too soon?

Most pros throw it in after a few minutes.

Sorry for what are probably really dumb questions, but I've never worked with this stuff. I try to do things the right way and never know if something needs to be scrutinized more or if I'm over-complicating things. As soon as I think I have a grasp of everything, something gets forgotten and I learn a hard lesson. Thanks for any answers/help!!
Responses listed in RED

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #3

PVC conduit questions

If you have that many questions just about the pvc part of the job i highly suggest that you just hire a LICENSED electrical contractor to take over before you get yourself hurt
eastcoastsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

PVC conduit questions

most of the questions are spec'd by the power company .. and sometimes it can be found on there site ... we work in an area that has 3 different ones and alll have little differences ...

one wants the conduit layed and pull string installed and it is spec'd the pull string rope and they will pull the wire and supply ....the other we have to do it all and supply the wire..and leave enough to go up the pole and like 10' wire protector on the pole, expansion PVC at the meter on the house ...

some let you run buried wire, some want conduit only etc etc

so check with power company ...ie POCO ..LOL
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

PVC conduit questions

oh and grey PVC always leaks ....LMAO !!!