Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

PVC conduit bender?

I'm in the process of digging a trench between my garage and house in order to run power. I've installed the mast on the garage where the service will connect and plan on running PVC conduit underground to the house. The catch is that where the meter box is on the garage requires me to have a 20' straight stretch, followed by a 30 degree bend, followed by another 30' straight stretch to get close to where the panel is in the house. Is there such a thing as a PVC (the grey piping) bender that can do what I need? Thanks!

yamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

PVC conduit bender?

Use a torch (carefully) or heat gun to heat up the PVC to bend it. I have to wonder why you are installing a mast on the garage if the wiring is underground. Do you know how deep to bury the PVC? How about all the sub panel requirements (if installing a sub)?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #3

PVC conduit bender?

Thanks for the quick response! The service line is above ground and will attach to the mast on the garage. From the garage to the house it will be underground PVC conduit. It's 1 1/4" PVC and has to be buried 18" on top of 6" of sand so my trench has to be 2' deep basically. I've got a 100 amp panel that I'll install in the garage with a 100 amp circuit breaker running to the house. I was hoping there would be some sort of tool out there rather I could use rather than having to use a torch, which may be more error prone.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

PVC conduit bender?

30 degree elbows (bends) are made by most of the pvc conduit mfg's. The question would be does your local electrical supply house carry them, and will they sell one to you. (some deal only with contractors, others may have minimum purchase amounts)

And no, your big box probably will not have them.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

PVC conduit bender?

Google the following:

pvc conduit elbows 30 degrees
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #6

PVC conduit bender?

Do you have a gas grill? Turn it on high, let it warm up, then lay the piece you want to bend across the inside. Have someone hold the grill lid just off the pipe so you can slowly turn it. In no time it will be limp as cooked spaghetti.
Form and cool with cold wet rag or running water.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
jbfan (10-14-2012), Missouri Bound (10-14-2012), zappa (10-15-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
JOATMON

PVC conduit bender?

30 deg? Easier to take a 45 sweep and cut part of it off to get the angle you need.

For minor adjustments, I have had good luck using a heat gun....take your time....get both sides warm....but be carefull....it's easy to ruin it if you get one spot too hot.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

PVC conduit bender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
30 deg? Easier to take a 45 sweep and cut part of it off to get the angle you need.
Definitely the easiest way and you can also be sure that you don't collapse the conduit!
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #9

PVC conduit bender?

Thanks for all the responses. I have only been able to find 90 degree 1 1/4" elbows in the local hardware stores, but plan on hitting a real electrical supply store to see what they have. I never even thought about taking a 45 degree elbow and cutting it to make the angle I need! Great idea! I guess I could even do that with a 90 degree elbow. I'll definitely try that first before going down the torch/glue gun approach. Seems easier.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #10

PVC conduit bender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsicle View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I have only been able to find 90 degree 1 1/4" elbows in the local hardware stores, but plan on hitting a real electrical supply store to see what they have. I never even thought about taking a 45 degree elbow and cutting it to make the angle I need! Great idea! I guess I could even do that with a 90 degree elbow. I'll definitely try that first before going down the torch/glue gun approach. Seems easier.
You may be able to get away with cutting a 45* but not so with a 90* if you are adding another stick to the cut end. Think trying to push a straight bell onto a radius. Small conduit bends easily over distance and you could also try a 22.5* sweep and fine tune with your trench if a 30* is not available or hard to get.

Last edited by zappa; 10-15-2012 at 05:57 AM.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote