Puzzled By Kitchen Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


I want to install GFCI outlets in the kitchen of a house built in the mid-60s, so yesterday, I experimented a bit to determine which breakers control which outlets. It turns out above-counter outlets in the kitchen are hot unless two 20-A breakers are both off. I assumed the two circuits somehow ended up wired in parallel at one of the outlets.

Today, I took apart one outlet to split the chain of outlets into two segments. There were two black-white pairs as you'd expect for an outlet in the middle. As expected, turning on one breaker caused one segment to become hot and left the other segment off. The other breaker, however, had absolutely no effect. If it's on and the other is off, none of the outlets has power.

Frankly, I'm at a loss to explain what I'm seeing. Any ideas?

Advertisement

placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,417
Rewards Points: 2,496
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


You would have a MWBC or in layman terms "Multi-Wire Branch Circuit".

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
placebo (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Rewards Points: 2,000
Blog Entries: 7
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
You would have a MWBC or in layman terms "Multi-Wire Branch Circuit".
I'm not sure if this is laymans terms.....
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
I want to install GFCI outlets in the kitchen of a house built in the mid-60s, so yesterday, I experimented a bit to determine which breakers control which outlets. It turns out above-counter outlets in the kitchen are hot unless two 20-A breakers are both off. I assumed the two circuits somehow ended up wired in parallel at one of the outlets.

Today, I took apart one outlet to split the chain of outlets into two segments. There were two black-white pairs as you'd expect for an outlet in the middle. As expected, turning on one breaker caused one segment to become hot and left the other segment off. The other breaker, however, had absolutely no effect. If it's on and the other is off, none of the outlets has power.

Frankly, I'm at a loss to explain what I'm seeing. Any ideas?
It seems that you have two, 20 amp breakers feeding the two outlets on the receptacle. The receptacle would have both the neutral and the hot tabs removed.
To maintain this arrangement, you will have to use 2-20 amp GFCI breakers in the panel.
My advice would be to remove one of the #12X2 feeders from the box and install the GFCI receptacle.
The #12x2 that is removed would then be moved to a new box and GFCI.

Last edited by Wildie; 03-29-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: correction
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,976
Rewards Points: 2,048
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


Are both halves of the (duplex) receptacle in one outlet box live at the same time and dead at the same time, or does turning off one breaker make one half dead and the other half is still alive?

With just two black/white pairs coming into the outlet box, usually one is the feed from the panel (possibly daisy chainng through other outlet boxes) and the other is the continuation to other outlet boxes further on.
__________________
Forget super sized fries. The Washington Redskins could promote healthy eating with First Lady Obama by choosing a (red skinned) turnip for a mascot.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-29-2011 at 09:02 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I'm not sure if this is laymans terms.....
Heh, that's what I thought too. Fortunately, there's Google. Greg nailed it. There's a shared neutral. I took an outlet apart again but disconnected only the hot side. Now one breaker controls the outlets on one side of the outlet and the other breaker controls the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Are both halves of the (duplex) receptacle in one outlet box live at the same time and dead at the same time, or does turning off one breaker make one half dead and the other half is still alive?

With just two black/white pairs coming into the outlet box, usually one is the feed from the panel (possibly daisy chainng through other outlet boxes) and the other is the continuation to other outlet boxes further on.
Right now, if either breaker is on, all the outlets on all the receptacles are live, so it seems there should have been one receptacle where one socket was on one branch and the other on the other branch. I suspect the two branches were joined when we replaced the old outlets long ago and didn't notice one of the tabs should have been removed.

Last edited by placebo; 03-29-2011 at 10:37 PM.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


Its lucky that the circuits are on the same leg or you would've had 220 applied across the tab on the receptacle.
I think that it can be argued that both the hot and neutral tabs should be removed so that each circuit uses its own neutral.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


Yeah, it was very fortunate. I'm going to have to track down why the neutral for one branch doesn't seem to be working.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,976
Rewards Points: 2,048
Default

Puzzled by kitchen wiring


Two hot feed wires may not share the neutral unless both hot wires are in the same cable or conduit as the neutral.

For separately breakered hot lines, the two must be connected to breakers on opposite sides of the 120/240 volt circuit and furthermore, in no place both hot wires back to the panel are connected to the same duplex receptacle with the tab between the screws unbroken.

It is not unheard of to have separate 2 wire cables entering an outlet box to feed the two halves of a duplex receptacle separately. Here both the neutral tab and the hot side tab must be broken off. Here, also, an unusually large box is needed if a third and/or fourth cable are provided to daisy chain to receptacles further on.

Advertisement

__________________
Forget super sized fries. The Washington Redskins could promote healthy eating with First Lady Obama by choosing a (red skinned) turnip for a mascot.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-30-2011 at 09:59 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kitchen Wiring Requirements SS396 Electrical 24 02-07-2011 11:00 AM
Using same tile for bathroom and kitchen too Matchy-Matchy? Jeanene Interior Decorating 10 03-29-2010 01:38 AM
So I'm Thinking about Doing Renovations on My Kitchen Jim.Lee Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 6 03-15-2010 08:53 PM
Wiring inside kitchen island? vsheetz Electrical 14 05-12-2009 02:49 PM
Kitchen Wiring Questions Chazbe Electrical 22 04-11-2008 05:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts