Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

Putting in a new electrial fuse panel?

I believe mine is rated at 150amp and have only one fuse open. I plan on doing a Home Theater in the bonus room and want to run some dedicated 20amp lines and some dedicated 15 amp lines.

Now I'm no electrician but I ran a dedicated 20 amp line for my buddies house for his home theater and it went very easy.

I would like to know what kind of work is involved in rewiring a new electrical box? I want there to be plenty of space for the new outlets and thought I "might" be able to do it myself.

Like I said I'm not electrician but I enjoy doing things myself. Is there a certain way this needs to be done or should I just leave it up to an electrician?

If this is something that should be left up to an electrician, could I get everything installed like the new box and then have the electrician come in and wire it up to save some money?

What do ya think?

If I'm a 150amp service right now, can I or should I up it to 200amp service? I need recommendations for the new electrical panel so if someone has some ideas on what brand I should get please let me know.

Last edited by imola ghost; 09-01-2008 at 09:01 PM.
imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola ghost View Post
I believe mine is rated at 150amp and have only one fuse open. I plan on doing a Home Theater in the bonus room and want to run some dedicated 20amp lines and some dedicated 15 amp lines.

Now I'm no electrician but I ran a dedicated 20 amp line for my buddies house for his home theater and it went very easy.

I would like to know what kind of work is involved in rewiring a new electrical box? I want there to be plenty of space for the new outlets and thought I "might" be able to do it myself.

Like I said I'm not electrician but I enjoy doing things myself. Is there a certain way this needs to be done or should I just leave it up to an electrician?

If this is something that should be left up to an electrician, could I get everything installed like the new box and then have the electrician come in and wire it up to save some money?

What do ya think?
First off if you have to ask, then this is one area A DYI should not wonder.
branch circuits I can understand. You might feel comfortable in this area. but if you have to ask about service changes then you should consult with a licensed electrician. Sorry !! BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #3

I thought so!

I'd like to find someone that I could help with the install and learn.
imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
I thought so!

I'd like to find someone that I could help with the install and learn.
Look in the yellow pages call a few and explain what you would like to do.you might get lucky.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
Look in the yellow pages call a few and explain what you would like to do.you might get lucky.
I agree, although I gotta say, I doubt your find any "real" electricians who will do this, especially for a service change. It's just not worth it.

We all have a rhythm and routine. There is really nothing you can do ahead of time to save anything.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Is it a fuse panel or breaker panel? You have 150a panel and you need some more space. If it is a breaker panel and your panel can accept them you might be able to have a few tandem breakers in place of the full size depending on the type of panel. If I was just looking for the additional space I would consider this first, next choice a subpanel then a full replacement. You may not need to go larger than 150 depending on your current load.

Last edited by handyman78; 09-02-2008 at 09:07 AM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
EAP

I agree with the others. Consult with a pro at the very least.

What's to stop you from visiting your local library or HI store and picking up a book on wiring? There are several to choose from. This is a wonderful way for learning the various elements involved.

A local pro can keep you grounded (no pun intended) on local code requirements.

Good luck.
EAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Is there a certain way this needs to be done or should I just leave it up to an electrician?
According the NEC along with any local amendments...

Quote:
If you're talking about doing some of the work yourself, many electricians won't want to bother with the job. Too much liability not to mention that if they find something that you have done to be in violation of the code, they will have to deal with it which means money/time wasted.

If you already have a 150A panel, chances are very unlikely that you'd need to upgrade it to 200A to cover the addition of a few 15A/20A branch circuits. Since it sounds like you are tapped out on space, one option would be to add a subpanel which could be done rather cheaply.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #9

Stick with the 150. They do make breakers that are two in one. Two breakers in one slot. Make sure your panel will accept this type of breaker.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Stick with the 150. They do make breakers that are two in one. Two breakers in one slot. Make sure your panel will accept this type of breaker.
John-

Maybe I'm taking the OP's initial post too literally but he mentions having only one fuse available.

--> Is this a fuse or breaker panel?