Putting Electrical Fixtures In A Shallow Wall. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Putting electrical fixtures in a shallow wall.

This customer has gutted a bedroom. It is an old house with plaster and lath. One of the walls has the studs turned flat so it is actually only 2" deep. One side of the wall is open. Can I legally run wires safely in that wall. I have to come down from the attic to run the wires. It's a no weight bearing junk wall. I would tear it out and replace it with a new wall. I am concerned with drywall screws or picture hanging hitting the wire. I found knob, and tube wires cut off, and plastered in the wall. Yes they were hot.

Advertisement

RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

No. My house is the exact same way. A standard 18CI box physically wont fit, and a shallow metal box is only good if you are only running 1 cable to each box because of fill. On top of that, with the stud being 2" (i am assuming rough cut, right?) you cannot achieve the 1 1/4" back from finished surface.

I have seen guys double up the studs, or use 1" furring strips to bring it out just enough to achieve 1 1/4". It would be a good idea to use metal protection plates, too.

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS View Post
This customer has gutted a bedroom. It is an old house with plaster and lath. One of the walls has the studs turned flat so it is actually only 2" deep. One side of the wall is open. Can I legally run wires safely in that wall. I have to come down from the attic to run the wires. It's a no weight bearing junk wall. I would tear it out and replace it with a new wall. I am concerned with drywall screws or picture hanging hitting the wire. I found knob, and tube wires cut off, and plastered in the wall. Yes they were hot.
I wonder what your customers would think about you coming to a do it yourself forum to find out how to do your electrical contracting work?
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
No. My house is the exact same way. A standard 18CI box physically wont fit, and a shallow metal box is only good if you are only running 1 cable to each box because of fill.
Whats wrong with a 4"sq box and a plaster ring?

Quote:
On top of that, with the stud being 2" (i am assuming rough cut, right?) you cannot achieve the 1 1/4" back from finished surface.
Who said you needed to be 1 1/4 from the finished surface? If your going to post information, at least find the information in the NEC first... and stop shooting from the hip....

Quote:
I have seen guys double up the studs, or use 1" furring strips to bring it out just enough to achieve 1 1/4". It would be a good idea to use metal protection plates, too.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Electrician

Take a look at 300.4 (D)

Name:  300.4(D).jpg
Views: 332
Size:  52.9 KB
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Whats wrong with a 4"sq box and a plaster ring?

Who said you needed to be 1 1/4 from the finished surface? If your going to post information, at least find the information in the NEC first... and stop shooting from the hip....
Quote:
Take a look at 300.4 (D)

Attachment 2800
The back of a finished surface (drywall for example) would be right against the outside edge of the framing member. How is that any different?

And I did not suggest a 4" box with a mud ring because I have no experience with them.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
The back of a finished surface (drywall for example) would be right against the outside edge of the framing member. How is that any different?
Maybe I misread exactly what you were trying to say, were you trying to say you cannot drill the studs or just saying you cannot have a wire in between the studs? Either way the picture I posted shows the correct installation...
Old 03-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Maybe I misread exactly what you were trying to say, were you trying to say you cannot drill the studs or just saying you cannot have a wire in between the studs? Either way the picture I posted shows the correct installation...
No, All I was saying is that you need to have that 1 1/4", and if you have a 2" stud and drull a 3/8 hole through the center, you don't have 1 1/4" on both sides. Using a 1" furring strip gives you JUST ENOUGH space. Using another 2/x on top of the existing stud gives you even more clearence.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
No, All I was saying is that you need to have that 1 1/4", and if you have a 2" stud and drull a 3/8 hole through the center, you don't have 1 1/4" on both sides. Using a 1" furring strip gives you JUST ENOUGH space. Using another 2/x on top of the existing stud gives you even more clearence.
okay cool... sorry I misread your post...
Old 03-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Furring out the wall is overkill. If you are worried about nails going into the wire just sleve the wire in emt or pvc conduit.
bwinters12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
When is fishing season?

Quote:
okay cool... sorry I misread your post...
It's cool... I tend to misread too, and have done the same. It's all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinters12 View Post
Furring out the wall is overkill. If you are worried about nails going into the wire just sleve the wire in emt or pvc conduit.
I guess its a matter of preference. Personally I think that would be overkill, plus more work than needed. I could fur out a 10' wall in about 20 min and be done with it.

Using conduit, there is assembeling the conduit fitting and such, and aren't you supposed to use thhn in it? Then you have to change over from romex to thhn, that inclused buying wire you may not already have, etc.

(correct me if I am wrong about using romex in conduit, unless it is only for a short distance and only for physical protection?)
Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

emt or pvc are both acceptable methods for protecting NM against physical damage.(334.12 B). You do not need to change over to THHN.
bwinters12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
emt or pvc are both acceptable methods for protecting NM against physical damage

Yeah, that ^
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
When is fishing season?

Quote:
emt or pvc are both acceptable methods for protecting NM against physical damage.(334.12 B). You do not need to change over to THHN.
Is there a certain length that you can do it for?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Electrician

Quote:
Maybe required to obtain the proper insulation value anyway.... just my 2 cents... I know I would fur it out for insulation alone...

Advertisement