Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Pushmatic - Adding a 100 amp for sub?

HI;

I want to add a 100 amp breaker into my pushmatic for my sub panel. I am going to remove my breaker that is in the #2 position that is currently the oven, and I want to put the sub panel breaker there.

I just want to make sure that if I buy one of the very expensive pushmatic 100 amp breakers that it will fit into position #2. I just wanted to make sure that the 100 amp breaker are not designed to only fit into position #1 - main.

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I haven't done what you propose, but I believe they are the same mounts. If it were different, they would sell 2 different types, a 100A main only, and a 100A branch circuit breaker.

SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 202

Ahhh, Pushmatic, what a PITA. I had to buy a 2P30A Pushmatic for an A/C unit I was wiring. $70.00 (USD). You could always remove your oven breaker and bring it with you.... good luck, pete
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
Ahhh, Pushmatic, what a PITA.
Lol...you mean the ones that are so rusted that they nearly fuse themselves to the mounting bar...or the tab breaks...or the freakin screw pops out and you have to chase it across the floor...or the old ones that just don't like to reset. I wonder if they price them so high to get people to stop using them...lol.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,050

You likely have a split buss pushmatic panel with main lugs. Six double poles in the top half with one being the "main lighting" breaker that powers the lower half of the panel and the 120 volt loads. So you cannot deenergize the busses and the bus mounting screws will stay hot. Be sure you do not have a split buss panel by pushmatic before you stick a screwdriver on those screws. A picture of your panel would be nice so we can look at it.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

I keep hearing these horror stories about Pushmatic. Out here in farm country those panels were very popular some years back, so I run into a lot of them. They are so common all the hardware stores sell the breakers. Yes they are pricey. Not as bad as Wadsworth, but more than Homey and CH.

But bottom line is, I have seen less problems with those panels than I see with other brand panels much younger than the PM's. And I see them in barns and milk houses and other nasty environments. Some times I find the terminal screws to corroded to get the wires out. But the mounting screws for the breakers have never given me a problem. And the refusing to reset problem happens less than it does with other panels.

That is my experience any way. I have never replaced a 100 amp so I can't answer your question for sure. I looked on line and only found one listed and it looks like a typical branch 2 pole.

Last edited by jrclen; 09-05-2008 at 09:55 AM.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
You likely have a split buss pushmatic panel with main lugs. Six double poles in the top half with one being the "main lighting" breaker that powers the lower half of the panel and the 120 volt loads. So you cannot deenergize the busses and the bus mounting screws will stay hot. Be sure you do not have a split buss panel by pushmatic before you stick a screwdriver on those screws. A picture of your panel would be nice so we can look at it.
I will get some photos this afternoon and get them posted - currently experiencing difficulty getting power to the camera = charger MIA durring the current remodel. Will use wife's camera when she gets home.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

the breaker will fit anywhere in the panel

Mightyidi is offline   Reply With Quote