Pushmatic - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 320

Pushmatic

I have a pushmatic main box in my house, and I have never worked with one before. The past ownwer just left the wires straight and screwed them down. I assume I should loop the wires over the screws to make it more secure. I would appreciate any tips regarding this style of circuit panel. Thank you in advance to all who help.

Advertisement

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #2

Pushmatic

Has anyone heard of this? I want to be sure about wiring the main panel correctly.

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 702

Pushmatic

Got a picture?
I've never seen a circut breaker where a wire was wrapped around a screw.
An outlet or switch yes, breaker no.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #4

Pushmatic

Sure thanks for answering
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #5

Pushmatic

It is hard to see, but those wires are just pinched behind the screws. I am thinking I should loop them around there. Yes I know the whites are going to the power and the balck is going to the ground. I have already gone over that in another thread. I will be spending a day sorting that out. I just want advice on proper attachment to the screws in the main panel.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,516

Pushmatic

If you had to ask the question, you shouldn't be in the box. Particularly a pushmatic box.

You also have much bigger wiring problems to resolve. Somebody hacked the electrical to "fix" the power on white problem. You don't know what he did. Just swapping colors is a dangerous way to proceed.

Hire a pro before you burn the place down or hurt yourself.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 702

Pushmatic

http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Pushmatic.htm#Adv

Very sloppy wiring work.
Someone left way to much insulation on the wires
Questionable style breakers.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Electrical Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Pushmatic

Have you thought about bringing an electrician in?
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #9

Pushmatic

An electrician will not do anything different from what I will do. I intend to go room by room and trace the wires from fixture to switch and each outlet. It is a bit of work, but I do not see that it is terribly complicated. Once the outlets and lights are wired correctly I will make sure the wires in the box have black going to power and white to neutral.
I am the one looking at this in the house. The wiring is not “hacked,” “messed up,” “rigged” or any other euphemism for a terrible condition. The wiring in this house works and it has for some time. Some of the outlets show reverse polarity because the person who wired some of the things probably assumed the box was wired right. I AM doing this the right way on MY OWN. This is a DIY forum right?

However, I have never worked with a Pushmatic box. I am simply wondering how the wires are usually attached. If no one wants to answer my question I am sure I will figure it out on my own. Thank you to anyone willing to help.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

Pushmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
If you had to ask the question, you shouldn't be in the box. Particularly a pushmatic box.

You also have much bigger wiring problems to resolve. Somebody hacked the electrical to "fix" the power on white problem. You don't know what he did. Just swapping colors is a dangerous way to proceed.

Hire a pro before you burn the place down or hurt yourself.
"If you had to ask the question, you shouldn't be in the box. Particularly a pushmatic box."

Why do you say "Particularly a pushmatic box."?
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Pushmatic

The wires should be at the top of the screw not the bottom on the left side as they appear in the picture and the opposite way on the right side. If they are not there is a tendency to push the wire out when the screw turns clock ways No need to curl it around. I had a house with pushmatic breakers and they are different in the 220 are across instead of the next one up or down. Pushmatic was pretty prevalent in Chicago.

Last edited by rjgogo; 02-08-2013 at 11:59 AM.
rjgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,516

Pushmatic

Quote:
Why do you say "Particularly a pushmatic box."?
Many of the pushmatic panels are a split bus design. They often do not have a single disconnect or breaker that kills the entire bus. So, you can have a lot more exposure to things that are still energized in the panel.

For someone that thinks all panels are the same or has limited electrical knowledge, it can lead to accidents. With electricity, trial and error is not a good way to learn.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #13

Pushmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
Many of the pushmatic panels are a split bus design. They often do not have a single disconnect or breaker that kills the entire bus. So, you can have a lot more exposure to things that are still energized in the panel.

For someone that thinks all panels are the same or has limited electrical knowledge, it can lead to accidents. With electricity, trial and error is not a good way to learn.

Ok got ya!
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #14

Pushmatic

I have done two rooms and it is going quite well. First I find where the hot (white wire) is coming in and when I disconnect that I see what else has no power. The layout is pretty basic in that each circuit governs just one room. I then wire the outlets and the light switch correctly so that the black wire will be hot. I went into the attic and there are no junction boxes up there. Next I go to the panel and switch it from the opposite of the picture.

I have been hooking the wires around the screw since it does not appear they fit behind the screws as they do with usual circuit breaker switches that I am used to.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #15

Pushmatic

I finished this and everything works fine. I t was time consuming because I had to unscrew every outlet and switch, but I do not understand why so many thought this was a job for a pro. Actually most of the switches already had the black wire attached and when I switched the wires at the box this made them “right.” Most of the outlets had the polarity reversed except the GFCI. The only thing I nearly missed is to re wire the kitchen hood fan and light, but I caught that in time.

Advertisement