Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

Purchasing a Rehab home

So I found a home in Akron OH (Summit County) for $6000, the electric company has not had service at this location for over 2 years. The meter is off, the meter box is hanging off the siding and the line from the house to the transmission is not there.

I've already called the electric company who told me I have to get a permit from the county to turn power back on. I've contacted an electrician who came in, told me because of the age of the home (1916 I think) a lot of the old electrical which has been semi updated is fine. He said he will have to run a new service line on the outside, replace the box and the breakers though. He said the inspector would have an issue against a breaker that was a different brand then the rest. GFI Breakers would need to be installed in the basement as well (3 receptacles). We agreed on $1000 for a 100amp service. Does this sound correct and a fair price?

JamesJDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #2

Purchasing a Rehab home

Sounds cheap.
Hope you have deep pockets for other things your going to find on a home that old and lack of maintaince.
You did at least hire a home inspector that the agent did not suggest, right?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
k_buz (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Purchasing a Rehab home

We couldn't do a 100A service for under $1500. Add another $100 per GFI breaker.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #4

Purchasing a Rehab home

Joe in regards to what is cheap and other things?? The home is wrecked. I'll have to do a lot of drywall and stuff myself, as well as the trim work and other stuff. I'm already assuming a few thousand dollars as I plan to replace the three entry doors, and uparmor them to prevent burglary, as well as every window with that stronger type that prevents being broken (Not bullet proof though).

k_buz why would it cost $1500 to replace a panel, it's breakers and a service line? The electrician is not running the lines throughout the house. He told me those should be OK'ed by the inspector because they are "grandfathered" in.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Purchasing a Rehab home

That seems like a very aggressive price for a new service plus breakers. Either you have some desperate electricians in your area, or the individual you got the price from was unlicensed. When I priced a new service in MA (200A), the going price was around $2500, which would have included new grounding, new meter, new main panel, new drop from the POCO connection.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
HIVOLT (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

Purchasing a Rehab home

JAMES.....you have a 100 year old home and you didn't share any pictures? Shame on you.......
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Purchasing a Rehab home

Ok well perhaps he was giving me a deal because I had just came off my job still in my military clothes... I'd give a service member a break on cost so perhaps the electrician is as well. He has to be licensed because he will be putting in the permit with the county(Required to have a licensed electrician)... It would be kind of silly to do all that work and then me not pay him because he couldn't complete the job. (The job is complete when they connect transmission lines and a bedroom light turns on ...)

But I think the pricing is straying y'all from the other questions I brought up...

He told me the inspector would have an issue with one breaker being a different brand than the rest.

Why would the box even need to be replaced in the first place? The breakers look to be standard breakers. Are GFI Breakers a requirement according to NEC now? He also told me that a regular recepticle is OK in the kitchen because it is about 6' from the sink (the hole where a sink will be). Should I go ahead and just replace this receptacle just for the hell of it?

Simply put his estimate means until the power is fully (legally permitted by the county) turned back on.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #8

Purchasing a Rehab home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
That seems like a very aggressive price for a new service plus breakers. Either you have some desperate electricians in your area, or the individual you got the price from was unlicensed. When I priced a new service in MA (200A), the going price was around $2500, which would have included new grounding, new meter, new main panel, new drop from the POCO connection.

Your price and his price is the difference between Akron and Boston. HIs may actually be too high for that area.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Purchasing a Rehab home

You are making alot of assumptions with what is needed to be done. You are also not giving us alot of information in regards to what is existing.

There are rules involved as to when you can replace just the panel, and when you have to replace the entire service...
-panel
-breakers
-from panel to meter
-from meter to service point
-grounding

In my area, anytime you replace a panel, you have to update the grounding to current codes. Since the panel and grounding are considered 50% of the service, you have to replace the entire service.

Again, this is in my area. I have read that in other areas updating the grounding isn't a requirement, and in some areas that the percentage is 66% of the service is the point where you have to replace the entire service.

I will also say, that in my area, payment is required when the job is done. Not when the job passes inspection. And DEFINITELY not when the POCO permanently connects the house wiring to their wiring. I've had services go up to 4 years before permanent connection was made.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
JamesJDavis (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

Purchasing a Rehab home

Missouri I apologize, I'm putting up a folder now with some pictures and video's from my android phone, check in about 10 minutes.

http://www.solarsettlement.com/alexander/
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #11

Purchasing a Rehab home

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
You are making alot of assumptions with what is needed to be done. You are also not giving us alot of information in regards to what is existing.

There are rules involved as to when you can replace just the panel, and when you have to replace the entire service...
-panel
-breakers
-from panel to meter
-from meter to service point
-grounding

In my area, anytime you replace a panel, you have to update the grounding to current codes. Since the panel and grounding are considered 50% of the service, you have to replace the entire service.

Again, this is in my area. I have read that in other areas updating the grounding isn't a requirement, and in some areas that the percentage is 66% of the service is the point where you have to replace the entire service.

I will also say, that in my area, payment is required when the job is done. Not when the job passes inspection. And DEFINITELY not when the POCO permanently connects the house wiring to their wiring. I've had services go up to 4 years before permanent connection was made.
There is a box existing, with breakers in it, up until two years ago it was a complete service. After that the tenants (I'm presuming or possibly owners of the home) were likely evicted which is the cause of all the home being torn up, at some point someone came in and did a lot of renovation, put a bathroom downstairs (awkward though, I've already determined I'll have to go back and do a lot of backwards repairing to it).

Many of the electrical lines going from the breaker box are newer lines, color coded. I'll have to take some pictures and report back of the box, I have video I'm trying to upload to the given web address as we speak.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #12

Purchasing a Rehab home

I've been uploading several pictures to my web server. I'll display a few below:

Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #13

Purchasing a Rehab home

Down size the pictures before posting!
I had to stand across the room to see the whole thing.
What happened to the siding?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #14

Purchasing a Rehab home

Someone's failed attempt to rehab the house, they put new siding over the old siding.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #15

Purchasing a Rehab home