Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
Share |
Default

pump relay


My irrigation pump will not run. The relay is buzzing. Does this mean the relay is bad?

roger2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,446
Default

pump relay


Probably not.

__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger2386 View Post
My irrigation pump will not run. The relay is buzzing. Does this mean the relay is bad?
Could mean a high resistance upstream of the relay.
If so the voltage to your pump should be rising and falling rapidly along with the buzzing [oscillating].
In this case a small, cheapie analog meter is better for troubleshooting because the needle can respond to voltage that is changing this fast. The end of the needle will look like a blur.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 31
Default

pump relay


Did you try taking apart the relay and cleaning it? If bugs or dust get in between the contact points or the relay mechanism it can cause chatter.
fpeftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

pump relay


What relay? Do you have a control box for the pump system? If so what type is it and whats the serial and model number?
I am not trying to be smart about this but when you say relay, a thousand things run through my mind. If you could be a little more specific as to exactly what you have we can help you. "Buzzing" is not enough for someone to troubleshoot this on the internet unless we know more.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 31
Default

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger2386 View Post
My irrigation pump will not run. The relay is buzzing. Does this mean the relay is bad?
the relay that he says is buzzing
fpeftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
Smile

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
What relay? Do you have a control box for the pump system? If so what type is it and whats the serial and model number?
I am not trying to be smart about this but when you say relay, a thousand things run through my mind. If you could be a little more specific as to exactly what you have we can help you. "Buzzing" is not enough for someone to troubleshoot this on the internet unless we know more.
Specifically it is an OMRON 24 volt DC/240 voltAC relay G7L2a TUBJ CB!
This is in a control box for may irrigation system. It has never buzzed before and the pump has always started.
roger2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

pump relay


It's possibly the relay but more likely other things. The relay is $10 so if you do not have the ability to troubleshoot the system, it is a cheap attempt to fix it.

If you can do what yoyozit suggested, that would be great. If not, plug in a new relay and see what it does.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Branford, CT
Posts: 37
Default

pump relay


Could also be low control coil voltage, 24 VDC coils can usually handle a drop to 19VDC before they buzz or fail to pull in.
ControlTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
Default

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
It's possibly the relay but more likely other things. The relay is $10 so if you do not have the ability to troubleshoot the system, it is a cheap attempt to fix it.

If you can do what yoyozit suggested, that would be great. If not, plug in a new relay and see what it does.
Got a new relay coming soon. Will try that and keep you posted.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Roger
roger2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger2386 View Post
Got a new relay coming soon. Will try that and keep you posted.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Roger
Keep the old relay after you get the new; with your symptoms I kinda' doubt that it is even possible that it is the relay.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
Default

pump relay


It wasn't the relay. It may be possible that one of the pump powere wires came loose at the pump. Could this cause the relay to buzz since it has nothing to operate?
roger2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger2386 View Post
Could this cause the relay to buzz since it has nothing to operate?
I don't see how.
The relay may buzz because of a loose turn in the relay coil winding.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-05-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
I don't see how.
The relay may buzz because of a loose turn in the relay coil winding.
In a normal world and a real world we just call that a BAD relay.

Loose turn in the coil winding.....????
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Default

pump relay


Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
In a normal world and a real world we just call that a BAD relay.

Loose turn in the coil winding.....????
I have to give you credit for not playing
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
like that other guy.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Configure an add-on radiator as stage 1 heat using a Honeywell thermostat hermhart7 HVAC 10 04-28-2010 05:39 PM
Modification to an existing pump switch DRBLKJK Electrical 10 08-23-2009 03:06 PM
Irrigation pump relay RHR Electrical 5 08-23-2009 12:16 AM
Sump Pump Questions henlij Plumbing 19 08-12-2009 07:50 PM
Irrigation pump relay rdy2go Electrical 2 06-01-2009 09:42 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.