Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

pull switch

I replaced an old pull swith single bulb/ 1 out let in my basement, when I pull the switch to turn on light it does not come on and it also kills the power that travels beyond new unit. It does not kick the breaker and there is a switch near my service that power goes to and then to new outlet. I connected the new one as I had the old one, there was no ground wire in the old wirw coming to new switch/outlet so I grounded it to metal octagon box screw used to fasten new octagon box to wall and connected the ground from the 12/2 which continues to beyond the new switch to the octagon box. What could cause this please
jeff leventhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

pull switch

What would cause it is you miswired the replacement.

Just how that was done is impossible to say without more info or pictures. What wires are in the box? How did you connect them?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #3

pull switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
What would cause it is you miswired the replacement.

Just how that was done is impossible to say without more info or pictures. What wires are in the box? How did you connect them?
I connected the black incoming and out going(beyond) to the brass screws and the whites to silver and grounded the grounds, the power worls out of outlet in new device but when i pull switch to trun light on it doesnt work and kills the power out of fixture to outlets on my porch, shoul I have not connected the whites to the new fixture ?
jeff leventhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

pull switch

Jeff

I am assuming your talking about one of these ...

You say 'brass screws' so I am assuming two brass screws and the receptacle is a switched receptacle. This is just a guess of course. If this is correct you have one brass screw for incoming power and one brass screw to switch something else with the pull string. You have your onward power connected to the switched brass screw. Move it to the screw with the incoming power using a pigtail.

The receptacle is working because the switch is actually closed and the bulb is either burned out or not seated in the socket correctly. When you pull the string you are actually opening the switch killing the onward power..the bulb isn't working in either position until you see if it is seated correctly or burned out.

Like I said this is a big WAG . I drew this cause I can think of no other way at the moment that pulling the pull chain with kill down stream power and the receptacle. The switched brass screw would not be used in this situation.

The second drawing is what I think you need to do...but again this is real guess work on my part.
Attached Thumbnails
pull switch-pull-string-light.jpg   pull switch-pull-string-light-1.jpg  

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 12-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote