Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Pull / jbox out of A panel box

HI;

It would be useful to have a larger pull / junction box for some of my connections. I wanted a metal one, and went and looked at them at Menards and HD. They are more expensive that a basic breaker box (start at $15 for a small one) and did not have the KO holes that I wanted.

Is there any reason that I can't gut out a old panel box, cover the open slots in the cover with blanks and use it for a j / pull box? I have old panels I could use, and they have all the KO's I could ever want.

I read the code and I can't see any reason why this would not be compliant, but just wanted to check and see.

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Why not just use one of the large PVC boxes? They come in a couple different sizes and you drill the holes however big you need them and in whatever location you want them to be in. Its PVC so no need to worry about wiring a ground wire to the box, and there is plenty of room to connect all your wires in.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
Why not just use one of the large PVC boxes? They come in a couple different sizes and you drill the holes however big you need them and in whatever location you want them to be in. Its PVC so no need to worry about wiring a ground wire to the box, and there is plenty of room to connect all your wires in.
You'll have to maintain conduit continuity with a PVC box. I suggest a 4-11/16" metal box if you need bigger than 4" square. Why would you need bigger?

If you use PVC box, you'll have to jump the EMT connectors together inside the box with some bond bushings and a piece of wire. You do not have to tie this wire to the ground wire in the conduit, but it certainly can't hurt.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
You'll have to maintain conduit continuity with a PVC box. I suggest a 4-11/16" metal box if you need bigger than 4" square. Why would you need bigger?

If you use PVC box, you'll have to jump the EMT connectors together inside the box with some bond bushings and a piece of wire. You do not have to tie this wire to the ground wire in the conduit, but it certainly can't hurt.
I was thinking of this mainly for the kitchen, which I think is going to end up with 5 different banks of lights, and 5 switches in 3 different banks of switches. I thought it would be easier to have a junction box that I can pull power into, then drop the connections out of there to the banks of switches and lights. I just wanted a bit more room, since it is going to be a bit on the complicated side of things with 3&4 way switches and a number of banks of lights.

Atleast in the location of the primary bank of switches, I am not going to be able to use an over sized box because it backs up to switches in the other room. So I will be a bit limited on my in the box space, thats why I thought it would be a good idea to make these connections in the attic in a junction box, then run flex to the switch boxes with thhn in it.

Is this a bad way to handle this? I don't want to have to run flex from each bank of lights to the switch box in the wall, I was just going to run 2 pieces of 1/2" flex and put everything in there from the Jbox in the attic. I think 2 pieces of flex would be enough for 5 switches, but I should double check the calcuations before I put in this conduit.

Thanks
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I think you will be over capacity with 1/2" flex with 5 switches, especially if you have several 3 way switches.

Also, I thought code said that there must be at least 24" of offset between boxes on opposing sides of the wall; having boxes back to back may not be allowed.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #6

I have seen and done this many times. A customer wants to move his service panel location. All the branch circuits terminate in the service panel. Instead of running all new circuits you can use the existing panel as a j-box and feed the existing branch circuits from there to the new panel. Since this is done on a fairly regular basis and no negative feedback from inspectors I would think you are fine. The only concern would be when you remove the guts. This very well could remove the UL listing for the enclosure. Can you ask the AHJ. After all he makes the final call.

ps....Go to an electrical supply house and look at galvanized pull boxes. They have all sizes. You can use hole saws for the KO's

Last edited by J. V.; 11-22-2008 at 12:01 PM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote