Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #1

Share |

Protecting small run of 8/3 cable in garage

Guys,

Running a 40 amp sub to my attached/finished garage using an 8/3 cable that I'm repurposing from an old hot tub. The cable will be protected most of the way, but am unsure how to make the transition from the soffit in the house to the garage.

I was thinking about running some 1" EMT or RMC down the wall from a JB where the wire comes into the garage to the sub. I know cable shouldn't be run in conduit. Can I cut a length of the cable and strip the outer jacket to turn it into individual conductors, or will that invalidate the listing? Is there a better way to protect the conduit in the 4 feet it will be exposed in the garage? The walls are drywalled, textured, and insulated, and I don't have access above or below, so fishing probably isn't a great option.

Thanks,

Mike
tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #2

You can sleeve the 8/3 NM cable into a section of conduit. You could put it all in conduit if you wanted too. But unnecessary as you are aware. Sleeve as much as needed with a 1" conduit. Take the conduit all the way into the panel. Once inside the panel, then you can skin it and separate the wires for connection.

Note: NM cables in conduits outside or buried are not permitted.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You can sleeve the 8/3 NM cable into a section of conduit. You could put it all in conduit if you wanted too. But unnecessary as you are aware. Sleeve as much as needed with a 1" conduit. Take the conduit all the way into the panel. Once inside the panel, then you can skin it and separate the wires for connection.

Note: NM cables in conduits outside or buried are not permitted.
Perfect, sounds good, then. Would I just use a regular 90 or LB or something coming out or the wall, or do I need to to something special?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 01-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Yes, Use the prefabbed 90's, 45's or offsets as required to make an attractive run into the panel. Good craftsmanship is a must with exposed conduit. Hand benders are the choice of professionals. Try to stay away from condulets. (LBs) ect... They are hard to get the cable through and frankly do not look good in the wrong places.
Do not forget to strap the conduit. Put one close to where it enters the panel and at least one for every ten feet. Once the conduit is installed and strapped, pull the cable through into the panel.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Yes, Use the prefabbed 90's, 45's or offsets as required to make an attractive run into the panel. Good craftsmanship is a must with exposed conduit. Hand benders are the choice of professionals. Try to stay away from condulets. (LBs) ect... They are hard to get the cable through and frankly do not look good in the wrong places.
Do not forget to strap the conduit. Put one close to where it enters the panel and at least one for every ten feet. Once the conduit is installed and strapped, pull the cable through into the panel.
J.V,

Thanks again.... one more question...Do I need a clamp where the cable/conduit enters the box, or is the lockring/set screw connector sufficient?

Mike