DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

proper wiring of outlets on dock near water

22K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Stubbie 
#1 ·
we inherited my granfathers lakehouse and I was there this past weekend and noticed how he ran electricity to the dock. The romex connecting the 2 outlets on the doc was not in any conduit and actually submerged in water under dock (used to be dry ground but lake has risen quite a bit). In one of the outlets there is a ground spike going through water to ground. I flipped the breaker on that circuit until I could determine if it was safe. What is recommended fault protection and set up for wiring around water?

thanks

#2 ·
What color is the wire?
Grey is rated for outside use - exposure to sunlight
But it should be wired in conduit if there is any chance of physical damage
Is this one circuit?
Protected by GFCI outlet/breaker?
What are the outlets used for?

In one of the outlets there is a ground spike going through water to ground.
A ground spike? Going thru the outlet?
Or a ground spike in the water that is wired/grounded to the outlet?

GFCI is 100% required
I would not want a GFCI outlet near the water
So either a GFCI breaker or another outlet further away from the water

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. the wire is black wire from receptacle to recetacle. I don't think they are GCFIs the ground if through water to ground (mostly b/c water has risen)

I'm fairly comfortable with electrical work but when it involves water it scares me a bit. Yes, the more I think about this and after reading that article I am definitely going to get a licensed electrician out to look at it. Now we have kids playing around the dock and it is definitely not worth the risk.

#6 ·
Docks are very much like swimming pools and are not DIY and in some cases are not for all electricians. You need an electrician that is familiar with the requirements for floating docks in your area. This is not DIY or owner stuff get a experienced electrician with floating docks. Here is an example of the requirements for my area........

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.