Proper Way To Terminate Overhead Wiring At Weather Head Feeding A Detached Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Proper way to terminate overhead wiring at weather head feeding a detached garage

I have a detached garage that is fed with a 30amp 240V 2-pole circuit using #10 wire attached to a steel messenger cable. However, I think the way the overhead wires are connected at the weatherhead is ugly (see picture).

Is this even code-complient, and is there a more "aesthetically pleasing" way
these wires can be connected?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement

JackDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Proper way to terminate overhead wiring at weather head feeding a detached garage

Looks fine from this vantage point. But who knows what the connection is, if its covered in tape.

The wires are in this position to allow water to drip away from the conduit and structure.

This is called a drip loop. Not the best of jobs as I would have made an actual loop.
I see zero issue other than a better drip loop and would like to know what is connecting those wires under the tape.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Looks like wire nuts taped up.

Some simple butt splices would work, just keep them from being in the bottom of your drip loop.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 180

am i looking ok, Ground wire seems to be connected to 2 wires in the pole probably a ground and a neutral
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

carmusic: The picture was taken with a zoom lens, so it flattens the image a bit, but there are 4 separate wires running from the breaker in the main panel all the way to the garage (ground, neutral, 2 hots). They are feeding a subpanel, and the neutral is kept isolated from ground in the panel.

wirenut1110: yes, that is right, those are wirenuts with some tape on top. They do appear to be gel-filled. I guess a butt-splice would look a little nicer (IMO). I wasn't sure if those were code though (I know they are very common on 12V car electrical systems).

On a related question, if you look at the picture full size, you can see how the clear plastic coating is deteriorating on the wires, but the colored insulation seems to be fine. Is this normal, or was the wrong type of wire used?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Well, since you asked, I doubt, very seriously, that individual conductors were ever allowed to be secured to a messenger like that.

But hey, I've been wrong before. Seems to me those wires don't have any sunlight resistivity.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

What type of wire would you recommend?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

It's there and it looks like it's been there for a while so, I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't know what the code was when that was installed.

The smallest messenger supported cable you can get, from what I've seen, is a #6 quadraplex code name Chola.

Advertisement