Proper Way To Install A LB - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Proper way to install a LB

Hello. I'm getting ready to install my underground conduit hear soon and pretty much have everything I need to know for the most part except the proper way to install a LB. Im running a 1 1/2 pvc. so I went out and purchased my 4 1/2 hole saw to drill into my rim joist. Now to me in sounds almost to simple to install one. Drill hole.. push lb into hole... silicone outside. Is that is. I do plan after running wire to put some great foam from the inside of the house into the hole for fire protection and to keep the bugs out. Any other suggestions. I did buy some liquid nails and though I would put it on the outside of the conduit to bond the wood and pvc better.

Advertisement

Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Is 4 1/2" a typo did you mean to say 1 1/2". If it is not a typo I have no idea what you trying to do.

You should drill a 1 1/2" hole in the joist put a piece of pipe through the joist and into the LB. Then another piece of 1 1/2" piece goes down from the LB and into the ground.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

ya the 4 1/2 was a typo I meant to type 2 1/2. I know its 1 1/2 pvc but its width is 2 1/2. I didn't think I needed a piece of conduit through the joist. Just a short piece with a bell end then I can just tack the wire down to main panel. It doesn't have to be conduit the whole way right since its pvc and not ridged metal, Right ? Thanks for the reply
Old 11-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

what kind of wire are you running in this?

you need to secure the conduit near the LB so hold it in place.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
what kind of wire are you running in this?

you need to secure the conduit near the LB so hold it in place.

6/3 uf wire. I do already have some conduit clamps to hole the conduit after it exits the LB
Old 11-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
6/3 uf wire. I do already have some conduit clamps to hole the conduit after it exits the LB

Your nuts if you think you can pull 6/3 UF through conduit for any distance. UF is direct burial cable and is not intended to be installed in conduit. It is not a code violation to do it, but it should be.
If you are just using conduit to get the cable underground, then you are doing it right.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #7

So should I return the wire and pick up the individual wires. What's it called thhn wire
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
So should I return the wire and pick up the individual wires. What's it called thhn wire
If you are running conduit all the way from one panel to the other YES. THHN/THWN. 4 individual conductors. H-H-N-G. The ground wire can be smaller that the three others. Whats the feeder size?
Or use the UF you already have. Just use the PVC conduit to protect the cable where it comes up out of the ground.
Most stores will not take back cut wire.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote