Proper Switch Style For Single Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Proper switch style for single light


Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a single switch for one light fixture require a silver screw for the white wire, and a brass screw for the black hot wire? The switch that I was looking at that was bought ahead of time from the owner had two brass screws on one side with the ground on top. Isn't that type for a three way configuration? Also, if there is no ground set up for this switch is it 100% necessary? Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Michblaze02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Proper switch style for single light


If its a metal box ground the switch to the box
You usually interupt the hot feed to the switch, thus the 2 brass screws

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Proper switch style for single light


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
If its a metal box ground the switch to the box
You usually interupt the hot feed to the switch, thus the 2 brass screws

Yes, it is a metal box. So the two brass screw style would be ok to use with a single white, and single black wire coming into the box. What type of switch uses the silver and brass screws then. I guess Im just used to seeing the silver and brass screw style, and assumed this isn't the right kind for this application.

Last edited by Michblaze02; 03-25-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Michblaze02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Proper switch style for single light


Are you thinking of a receptacle maybe? They have silver and brass screws, not switches. A 3 way switch will have 2 brass and a darker one for the common. A single pole switch has 2 brass screws.
unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Proper switch style for single light


Quote:
Originally Posted by unclduey View Post
Are you thinking of a receptacle maybe? They have silver and brass screws, not switches. A 3 way switch will have 2 brass and a darker one for the common. A single pole switch has 2 brass screws.


That could be the case. Sounds good, so the configuration really won't matter other then off might be on and on might be off if wired backwards. What if I am not able to ground it, kinda tight in there.
Michblaze02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Member
 
dSilanskas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 474
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Proper switch style for single light


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michblaze02 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a single switch for one light fixture require a silver screw for the white wire, and a brass screw for the black hot wire? The switch that I was looking at that was bought ahead of time from the owner had two brass screws on one side with the ground on top. Isn't that type for a three way configuration? Also, if there is no ground set up for this switch is it 100% necessary? Thanks in advance

No that is a single pople switch. You have a switch loop in this case the white wire is your hot. So white wire goes on one brass screw and the black goes on the other brass screw. If you have the old two wire romex without a ground than you can't really use the ground. Well unless you have bx than the armor is the ground. But yes that is the right switch.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Proper switch style for single light


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michblaze02 View Post
That could be the case. Sounds good, so the configuration really won't matter other then off might be on and on might be off if wired backwards. What if I am not able to ground it, kinda tight in there.
Do what you can, its a good idea to try and ground it. If all else fails remove the little piece of material that is used to hold the screws in the switch. Look at the switch mounting screws and see if you can see what looks like a little spacer between the jbox and the switch yoke. Back out the screw and remove it and reinstall the screw.

Advertisement

unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GFCI light switch trips once per night ???? mw6263 Electrical 11 07-25-2008 12:05 PM
Connecting a Ceiling fan to a Light Switch AceAvenue Electrical 6 06-03-2008 04:06 PM
Overhead light w/ switch and 3 recept. how to wire? twilightcall Electrical 8 01-07-2008 05:27 PM
replacing light switch in bathroom cooper Electrical 3 02-22-2007 06:05 AM
Boxless light switch Hippie Electrical 1 01-19-2007 07:50 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts