Proper Switch Style For Single Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Proper switch style for single light

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a single switch for one light fixture require a silver screw for the white wire, and a brass screw for the black hot wire? The switch that I was looking at that was bought ahead of time from the owner had two brass screws on one side with the ground on top. Isn't that type for a three way configuration? Also, if there is no ground set up for this switch is it 100% necessary? Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Michblaze02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If its a metal box ground the switch to the box
You usually interupt the hot feed to the switch, thus the 2 brass screws

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
If its a metal box ground the switch to the box
You usually interupt the hot feed to the switch, thus the 2 brass screws

Yes, it is a metal box. So the two brass screw style would be ok to use with a single white, and single black wire coming into the box. What type of switch uses the silver and brass screws then. I guess Im just used to seeing the silver and brass screw style, and assumed this isn't the right kind for this application.

Last edited by Michblaze02; 03-25-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Are you thinking of a receptacle maybe? They have silver and brass screws, not switches. A 3 way switch will have 2 brass and a darker one for the common. A single pole switch has 2 brass screws.
unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclduey View Post
Are you thinking of a receptacle maybe? They have silver and brass screws, not switches. A 3 way switch will have 2 brass and a darker one for the common. A single pole switch has 2 brass screws.

That could be the case. Sounds good, so the configuration really won't matter other then off might be on and on might be off if wired backwards. What if I am not able to ground it, kinda tight in there.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michblaze02 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a single switch for one light fixture require a silver screw for the white wire, and a brass screw for the black hot wire? The switch that I was looking at that was bought ahead of time from the owner had two brass screws on one side with the ground on top. Isn't that type for a three way configuration? Also, if there is no ground set up for this switch is it 100% necessary? Thanks in advance

No that is a single pople switch. You have a switch loop in this case the white wire is your hot. So white wire goes on one brass screw and the black goes on the other brass screw. If you have the old two wire romex without a ground than you can't really use the ground. Well unless you have bx than the armor is the ground. But yes that is the right switch.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michblaze02 View Post
That could be the case. Sounds good, so the configuration really won't matter other then off might be on and on might be off if wired backwards. What if I am not able to ground it, kinda tight in there.
Do what you can, its a good idea to try and ground it. If all else fails remove the little piece of material that is used to hold the screws in the switch. Look at the switch mounting screws and see if you can see what looks like a little spacer between the jbox and the switch yoke. Back out the screw and remove it and reinstall the screw.

Advertisement

unclduey is offline   Reply With Quote