Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Proper grounding of breaker panels fed from T1220 terminal box

Hello all.

I've searched here, googled the internet, and asked the resident NEC experts at 3 different electric supply houses trying to solve this question.

We are installing a T1220 terminal box to distribute the feeder line from our underground utility supply to 2 - 200 amp service panels and 1 - 100 amp panel. The T1220 box is properly grounded.

1st 200 amp panel is directly adjacent to the T1220, the 100 amp panel (supply for submersible pump and lighting for the pump house) is within 30 - 40' of the T1220. The 2nd 200 amp panel will be approximately 200' from the T1220. (all are supplied via buried conduit).

All panels are significantly oversized for any current and/or anticipated loads, but I always tend to overbuild - just in case...

My question(s): which (if any) panels need to have a separate ground rod(s)? If grounds are required, should the ground and neutral buss bars be bonded together or the ground bar isolated.

I'll probably have additional questions after I receive your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

jcr

p.s. 2 supply house sources say no need for any additional grounds, the third says to ground only the most remote panel.

I want to be certain all are safe. We have no zoning/building inspectors to rely on/deal with here...

Thanks again!

jcrvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

So after the meter you have a 200 amp disconnect THEN the T1220 terminal box? You need to explain EXACTLY how this is wired...also, this is residential?

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrvt View Post
Hello all.

I've searched here, googled the internet, and asked the resident NEC experts at 3 different electric supply houses trying to solve this question.

We are installing a T1220 terminal box to distribute the feeder line from our underground utility supply to 2 - 200 amp service panels and 1 - 100 amp panel. The T1220 box is properly grounded.

1st 200 amp panel is directly adjacent to the T1220, the 100 amp panel (supply for submersible pump and lighting for the pump house) is within 30 - 40' of the T1220. The 2nd 200 amp panel will be approximately 200' from the T1220. (all are supplied via buried conduit).

All panels are significantly oversized for any current and/or anticipated loads, but I always tend to overbuild - just in case...

My question(s): which (if any) panels need to have a separate ground rod(s)? If grounds are required, should the ground and neutral buss bars be bonded together or the ground bar isolated.

I'll probably have additional questions after I receive your feedback.

Thanks in advance!

jcr

p.s. 2 supply house sources say no need for any additional grounds, the third says to ground only the most remote panel.

I want to be certain all are safe. We have no zoning/building inspectors to rely on/deal with here...

Thanks again!
The first thing to do is to quit relying upon supply house advisors.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
jbfan (06-15-2012), stickboy1375 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Each panel will need ground rods and a water bond (if water is present).

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Each panel will need ground rods and a water bond (if water is present).
Im kind of curious if he is running Feeders or Service entrance conductors to these 3 panels...
Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Either way he will need rods at each building.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Either way he will need rods at each building.
I know... but, he can't have 3 sets of service entrance conductors either...
Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your replies,

I'll try to clarify:

• T1220 is wired directly from the meter.

• Power is not supplying any residential structures.

• 1 - 200 amp panel is mounted next to T1220 (in small barn - equipment storage, has adjacent water hydrant fed from separate spring via pvc pipe)
  • 1 - 200 amp panel in 30x40 pole barn (to be constructed) for equipment storage and workshop - approximately 200' from T1220 via underground conduit. no water
  • 1 -100 amp panel supplying submersible pump and lighting in pumphouse (waterline in well to expansion tank, etc. is pvc as is line from pumphouse to residence)

re: whether these are service entrance or feeders conductors - how do you differentiate between the two conductor types?

Hope that this has helped...

re: grounding of panel in pumphouse. Can/should the panel be grounded to the well casing - 600' +/- deep with approximately 40' of metal casing (all supply piping is pvc)

Thanks again!

jcr
jcrvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
E2 Electrician

Quote:
re: whether these are service entrance or feeders conductors - how do you differentiate between the two conductor types?
Service conductors. The conductors from the service point to the service disconnecting means.

Feeder. All circuit conductors between between the service equipment and the final branch-circuit over current device.

Since you didn't supply any over current protection between the meter and the T1220, every panel on the property is supplied via service entrance conductors... and I just don't see any exception that would allow this type of setup, IMO, a 200 amp disconnect should have been installed between the meter and the T1220, then you would have been dealing with feeders to each panel.

Quote:
Hope that this has helped...

re: grounding of panel in pumphouse. Can/should the panel be grounded to the well casing - 600' +/- deep with approximately 40' of metal casing (all supply piping is pvc)

Thanks again!

jcr
You are not required to use the well casing as a grounding electrode, BUT, you must bond the well casing via the equipment ground that is supplying the pump
circuit.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Since you answered Stickboy that nothing on the premises is residential can we assume that your property is classsified agricultural (rural). ?

If that is the case you will be required to comply with article 547 of the NEC.

You also mention that your 'distrubution point' is an underground lateral to a farmpole or meter pole. Service provided by an overhead supply often has a site isolation device and different rules apply. However in your case you would need to comply with 547.9(c) and (d). Briefly your going to need 200 amp OCPD service equipment located at the farm pole (meter). From that you may hit your T1220 and run feeders to your buildings. Each building will need a disconnecting means ...for one example a panel with a main breaker. You will need a grounding electrode system at the service equipment and at each building supplied by a feeder from the distribution point.

You also didn't mention your service size so from what you describe it sounds like 200 amp service and I believe a t1220 distribuiton lug panel is rated 200 amps.

Last edited by Stubbie; 06-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I would install feed through lug panel in barn. Then feed your second 200 amp penel with feed through lugs and 100 amp panel fed with 100 amp breaker. All panels will need the proper ground rods.