Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Proper conduit for running wire in garage?

Hey all! New to the forum. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and just had a simple (I hope) question for wiring. I am using two circuits with Romex 12/2 wire- one for outlets and the other for lighting. I brought through the garage wall and now I have to run them to the main panel. I was originally going to use 3/4" PVC conduit; however, I'm seeing some information state that a grounding wire must be used or if in a garage and the wire is less than 60" from the floor, steel conduit is necessary. Is all of this true? I already started using the PVC which is why I'm crossing my fingers that is acceptable. Thanks in advance for your input. I'm all ears!

mrrr0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrr0809 View Post
Hey all! New to the forum. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and just had a simple (I hope) question for wiring. I am using two circuits with Romex 12/2 wire- one for outlets and the other for lighting. I brought through the garage wall and now I have to run them to the main panel. I was originally going to use 3/4" PVC conduit; however, I'm seeing some information state that a grounding wire must be used or if in a garage and the wire is less than 60" from the floor, steel conduit is necessary. Is all of this true? I already started using the PVC which is why I'm crossing my fingers that is acceptable. Thanks in advance for your input. I'm all ears!
Im not sure what you mean by this? The grounding conductor is inside the NM cables....

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Im not sure what you mean by this? The grounding conductor is inside the NM cables....
So with that being said, I have no need to worry, right? I also failed to mention the wires are only 2 feet above the ground. Can I still use the PVC conduit in this circumstance?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrr0809 View Post
So with that being said, I have no need to worry, right? I also failed to mention the wires are only 2 feet above the ground. Can I still use the PVC conduit in this circumstance?
Eh, some areas have some strange requirements about NM type cable in garages, personally, I think your good to go, having them sleeved in PVC. Im not 100% sure if two NM cables are allowed in 3/4" pvc, didnt do the math.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

Is the garage attached?

You will have a hard time pulling that nm through conduit....

I would run your two ckts to a junction box....maybe another outlet...then from there run stranded THWN in the PVC conduit....along with a ground.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Is the garage attached?

You will have a hard time pulling that nm through conduit....

I would run your two ckts to a junction box....maybe another outlet...then from there run stranded THWN in the PVC conduit....along with a ground.

The garage is attached. I do like the idea of a junction box although I think my lack of skill and knowledge may inhibit me from doing so. Thanks for all the input so far guys!