DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Programmable Timer Switch

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RitzLondon 
#1 ·
hi,

I have searched the forum and did not find a recent post similar to mine.

I am looking into installing a Programmable Timer Switch – Honeywell RPLS740B.

The primary function I would like to achieve is to turn the outdoor lights on and off without having to be home to do so.

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/...rity/Programmable+Timer+Switches/RPLS740A.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Eco...8&qid=1352472670&sr=1-1&keywords=timer+switch

Mainly picked this one... cause of its high good reviews.

This switch will control 2 CFL light fixture to the left/right of the garage and also controls a front porch light.

Any advice to do and dont's? I am aware of the normal ones... make sure power is turned off from the breaker, etc.

This home is a new construction home within city limits... so a neutral wire shouldn't be a problem.

I will check the wattage of the fixture and post an update. Anything else I need to check?

If anyone has an alternative timer switch to use... I would consider it.

Please advise.

See less See more
#3 ·
No one responded because you pretty much have the bases covered. Switches look like they will do the job....your not over loading it....

I didn't read all the details....but just make sure it does not have a dim feature....my motion controlled light has a feature where they lights are partially on until motion is detected....then full brightness...does not work with CFL's.

You don't have your location in your profile....just make sure your not trying to use CFL's in really cold climates....they may not come on below 10 deg F. In that case, LED's would be a better choice.

#5 ·
I'd make sure the neutral is present before purchasing the switch. I read what you said, but the presence of the neutral will depend on the code you are on rather than the age of the house. Other than that, fine switch.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.