Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Share |
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


Jim Port please tell me where the direct to short/neutral is at on the switch? because I dont see it is it because I have the white on the switch or what?

Because I thought you would need to have 2 blacks on the switch to close the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You have done all this work in your house and still do not recognize a direct short to neutral at the switch?

treich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #32
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


I did see a excat a perfect probem right there.,

So I will give you a answer to fix this mess.,

First of all dump that three way switch and get a single pole switch .,

Next at the switch box location cap off the white wire that is netural right there and leave it alone unless you get one switch with polit light.

Hook the black et red wires at the single pole switch and done with that part.

Now at the receptale location wirenut two black conductors and leave that part alone now the white conductors you will have to make a pigtail wirenut that and run a white pigtail to silver screw .,, that done with that part.

Now the red wire from the switch goes to the brass colour screw and that it ya done right there.

That should work properly without kicking the breaker out ( I think it is the time to get new breaker anyway due you allready have couple hard short circuits so pony it up for new one. )

Oh by the way before you do any more projects make sure you get Electrical simpifed book or get someone whom know what they are doing.

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 03-31-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: changed one part to bold to make sure someone understand this clear
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
treich (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


frenchelectrican that worked out great and now its working THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I did see a excat a perfect probem right there.,

So I will give you a answer to fix this mess.,

First of all dump that three way switch and get a single pole switch .,

Next at the switch box location cap off the white wire that is netural right there and leave it alone unless you get one switch with polit light.

Hook the black et red wires at the single pole switch and done with that part.

Now at the receptale location wirenut two black conductors and leave that part alone now the white conductors you will have to make a pigtail wirenut that and run a white pigtail to silver screw .,, that done with that part.

Now the red wire from the switch goes to the brass colour screw and that it ya done right there.

That should work properly without kicking the breaker out ( I think it is the time to get new breaker anyway due you allready have couple hard short circuits so pony it up for new one. )

Oh by the way before you do any more projects make sure you get Electrical simpifed book or get someone whom know what they are doing.

Merci,
Marc
treich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 34
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


glad it worked out for you

Last edited by jratftcc; 03-31-2013 at 02:16 PM.
jratftcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Indiana (USA)
Posts: 1,316
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by treich View Post
frenchelectrican that worked out great and now its working THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
treich,

Glad it's working.

you have to get a 15 amp breaker for this install, no matter what it costs, because the 14 AWG wire is designed for 15 amps only.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #36
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,779
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
treich,

Glad it's working.

you have to get a 15 amp breaker for this install, no matter what it costs, because the 14 AWG wire is designed for 15 amps only.
If you weren't half way across the country I'd bet you a steak dinner that this will NEVER get changed.

All this guy cares about is "does it work".
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 3,937
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


I just love these threads. Like another poster said make some popcorn and sit back and enjoy.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
electures (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #38
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I just love these threads. Like another poster said make some popcorn and sit back and enjoy.
Yeah but just wait until someone get too stubborn to admit it. the last time I have to deal one stubborn dolt I just simply reply in full French ( of course I do speak in french I grew up with it )

Just ask couple guys in here what I will do with them and enjoy the popcorn.

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


Ok I am taking up donations to buy me the 15a breaker for this setup LOL.. so you guys can get off my case about it.
treich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Indiana (USA)
Posts: 1,316
Default

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
If you weren't half way across the country I'd bet you a steak dinner that this will NEVER get changed.

All this guy cares about is "does it work".
Well, I do like longshots

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring Switch For New Chandelier Haselsmasher Electrical 1 12-31-2012 12:57 PM
Double switch wiring rockclimber Electrical 18 03-18-2012 10:13 PM
Custom wiring a generator to a transfer switch robojoe_fl Electrical 4 06-08-2011 12:36 AM
Wiring from light to switch and on poorjohn Electrical 3 03-16-2009 01:23 PM
4 way switch wiring ponch37300 Electrical 9 02-16-2009 09:58 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.