DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Problems wiring up food disposer to switch (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/problems-wiring-up-food-disposer-switch-175950/)

treich 03-31-2013 11:56 AM

Problems wiring up food disposer to switch
 
Hi Guys
I just bought and food disposer and when I try to wire up to an switch when I turn it on it blows the breaker all the time. How I got the wiring setup is coming from power source its on 14/2 wire then at the disposer its at 14/2 wire also but at the switch its 14/3 wire and only wires I see on the disposer is white n black. I figured of course you wire black to black and white to white well it dont work that way. So what am I doing wrong here on the wiring?

Philly Master 03-31-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treich (Post 1149574)
Hi Guys
I just bought and food disposer and when I try to wire up to an switch when I turn it on it blows the breaker all the time. How I got the wiring setup is coming from power source its on 14/2 wire then at the disposer its at 14/2 wire also but at the switch its 14/3 wire and only wires I see on the disposer is white n black. I figured of course you wire black to black and white to white well it dont work that way. So what am I doing wrong here on the wiring?

what did the switch do before you added the garbage disposer ???

treich 03-31-2013 12:00 PM

well this is an new install I forgot to say that So I installed the new switch and new wiring.

funfool 03-31-2013 12:14 PM

All you need is to tie the white neutrals together, same with ground, and the black's go to the switch. If this is blowing breakers then is another problem.

A typical garbage disposal setup would be to install a outlet inside the cabinet, run one side of the outlet hot all the time, while the other side is ran off the switch.
Just use a cord to plug in the disposal to the switched outlet, and have the unswitched outlet for the dishwasher to plug into.

Philly Master 03-31-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treich (Post 1149574)
Hi Guys
I just bought and food disposer and when I try to wire up to an switch when I turn it on it blows the breaker all the time. How I got the wiring setup is coming from power source its on 14/2 wire then at the disposer its at 14/2 wire also but at the switch its 14/3 wire and only wires I see on the disposer is white n black. I figured of course you wire black to black and white to white well it dont work that way. So what am I doing wrong here on the wiring?


where are you getting power from the operate the switch/disposal ?

treich 03-31-2013 12:26 PM

Philly its coming directly from 20amp breaker.

Philly Master 03-31-2013 12:47 PM

feed wire (power from breaker ) to the switch first ....
whites wire nutted together, nutted together grounds, and switch connected to ground with green screw ....

1 black each to each switch screws

(**then if you really want to do this correctly ...**)

wired to an outlet ... under the sink ..

buy a 18" appliance cord or less ( three prong ) install it on the disposal then plug the disposal into the outlet ...

Stubbie 03-31-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treich (Post 1149574)
Hi Guys
I just bought and food disposer and when I try to wire up to an switch when I turn it on it blows the breaker all the time. How I got the wiring setup is coming from power source its on 14/2 wire then at the disposer its at 14/2 wire also but at the switch its 14/3 wire and only wires I see on the disposer is white n black. I figured of course you wire black to black and white to white well it dont work that way. So what am I doing wrong here on the wiring?

Why do you have 14/3 wire at the switch?

I'm also confused as to exactly what you did. So this is how I'm understanding your description

You have 14/2 from breaker to the disposal .. then you ran 14/3 to the switch from the disposal ??

treich 03-31-2013 12:55 PM

Stubbie the reason why I had an 14/3 at the switch I was installing an 3way switch bc I figured use the red wire to connect the black wire to the disposer but that still throws the breaker.

But I guess I am going have to do the outlet to switch setup since my way isnt going to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubbie (Post 1149615)
Why do you have 14/3 wire at the switch?

I'm also confused as to exactly what you did. So this is how I'm understanding your description

You have 14/2 from breaker to the disposal .. then you ran 14/3 to the switch from the disposal ??


Philly Master 03-31-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treich (Post 1149622)
Stubbie the reason why I had an 14/3 at the switch I was installing an 3way switch bc I figured use the red wire to connect the black wire to the disposer but that still throws the breaker.

But I guess I am going have to do the outlet to switch setup since my way isnt going to work.


just forget about the red wire as it is not needed in this application ...

the using the outlet is the safer way .....does not really change the wiring i said ...

treich 03-31-2013 01:01 PM

So how would I wire up the switch to outlet setup? so the switch can turn off n on the disposer at the outlet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly Master (Post 1149624)
just forget about the red wire as it is not needed in this application ...

the using the outlet is the safer way .....does not really change the wiring i said ...


Philly Master 03-31-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treich (Post 1149627)
So how would I wire up the switch to outlet setup? so the switch can turn off n on the disposer at the outlet?

Quote:

feed wire (power from breaker ) to the switch BOX first .... that give you 2 whites and 2 blacks and 2 grounds

whites wire nutted together, nutted together grounds, and switch connected to ground with green screw ....

then you will have 2 black wire left

1 black wire to each to switch screws

(**then if you really want to do this correctly ...**)

wired to an outlet ... under the sink ..

buy a 18" appliance cord or less ( three prong ) install it on the disposal then plug the disposal into the outlet ...
correct ... @ the OUTLET >>>black to the gold screw white to the silver screw .. ground to the green screen ....

Speedy Petey 03-31-2013 01:05 PM

And change the 20A breaker to a 15A. WHO told you to run a 20A with #14??

Philly Master 03-31-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 1149631)
And change the 20A breaker to a 15A. WHO told you to run a 20A with #14??


LOL nice catch ......:whistling2:

treich 03-31-2013 01:11 PM

well this an older breaker so finding an 15A is going to alot harder to find so I am just using whats in the breaker which is 20A.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey (Post 1149631)
And change the 20A breaker to a 15A. WHO told you to run a 20A with #14??



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.