Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Problems with a new/old compressor

I have a new/old ingersoll compressor that I have attempted to wire in my shop. the motor is a 15amp 230v. i have done the wiring as listed below but am not getting it to run correctly. when i flip the breaker, the compressor fires up hard and fast but within just a few seconds (maybe 10) it starts to slow and and then trips the motor breaker (not the panel). After about 10 minutes you can set the motor breaker and it will start back up but does the same thing. It does build pressure in the tank but shuts off pretty quick.

at the breaker box i have a double pull 30amp breaker. think thats ok.

from there i ran 10(3) cable to a dryer outlet. not sure on this one...

i rewired the plug on the compressor with a 10(2) cable that then plugs into the dryer outlet.

i replaced the pressure regulator but did not rewire to the motor.

so today i was able to get a clamp meter and tested. here is what i found...

i set the clamp meter to 200v (correct?)

on the black wire i start off with roughly 45.1 amps and then drops to around 41.1 as is starts to slow down.

on the white wire it starts off over 46 and then windes down to around 44.8 right before it stops. i would think this would not be good as it's a 15amp motor. i understand that should allow it double to 30 at the point of start up but it should settle back to around 15 when it's running? not sure how it would hit 40 and not trip the panel but that's what i get.

i did notice this time that wires/motor do get hot - well warm. doesnt really have time to get "hot" before it shuts off. again, makes me think it's a wiring issue.

i was going to try to get the belt loose to run it but had trouble with a couple of bolts so left it for now.

by the way, its a single hump.

if some pictures would help, let me know.!

thanks!!!

boilermanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermanc View Post
I have a new/old ingersoll compressor that I have attempted to wire in my shop. the motor is a 15amp 230v. i have done the wiring as listed below but am not getting it to run correctly. when i flip the breaker, the compressor fires up hard and fast but within just a few seconds (maybe 10) it starts to slow and and then trips the motor breaker (not the panel). After about 10 minutes you can set the motor breaker and it will start back up but does the same thing. It does build pressure in the tank but shuts off pretty quick.

at the breaker box i have a double pull 30amp breaker. think thats ok.

from there i ran 10(3) cable to a dryer outlet. not sure on this one...

i rewired the plug on the compressor with a 10(2) cable that then plugs into the dryer outlet.

i replaced the pressure regulator but did not rewire to the motor.

so today i was able to get a clamp meter and tested. here is what i found...

i set the clamp meter to 200v (correct?)

on the black wire i start off with roughly 45.1 amps and then drops to around 41.1 as is starts to slow down.

on the white wire it starts off over 46 and then windes down to around 44.8 right before it stops. i would think this would not be good as it's a 15amp motor. i understand that should allow it double to 30 at the point of start up but it should settle back to around 15 when it's running? not sure how it would hit 40 and not trip the panel but that's what i get.

i did notice this time that wires/motor do get hot - well warm. doesnt really have time to get "hot" before it shuts off. again, makes me think it's a wiring issue.

i was going to try to get the belt loose to run it but had trouble with a couple of bolts so left it for now.

by the way, its a single hump.

if some pictures would help, let me know.!

thanks!!!

Take a picture of the nameplate on the motor please.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

This sounds like you have connected 240 Volts to a motor configured for 120 Volt operation.

But there could be other factors in play here -- as someone else has requested, start with a high-resolution photo of the motor nameplate ...

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermanc View Post
but within just a few seconds (maybe 10) it starts to slow and and then trips the motor breaker (not the panel).

on the black wire i start off with roughly 45.1 amps
A breaker may trip that quickly with a 3x overload.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote