DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Problems with GFCI Outlet

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  FieldersChoice 
#1 ·
Please read this carefully because I can not find any answers for this on the internet.

I replaced a GFCI outlet because I changed the wall color and we wanted it to match. I made sure I had the line connected correctly and the load wires. All of the receptacles downstream from the GFCI are working and are receiving power but the GFCI outlet itself will not work.

Further explanation: hairdryers will work in all of the downstream outlets, but they will not work in the GFCI.

Please help me if you know the solution...:huh::mad::huh::mad:

#4 ·
What do you mean by the word terminal?

If it was not wired correctly, the power would not flow through to the receptacles downstream....correct???
Terminal - The thing that you screw the wire to on the back of the GFCI outlet. i.e. where the wire gets connected.

I can come up with a lot of wrong ways to wire up a GFCI that will allow other outlets to be powered but not have them protected.

Assuming that because something works it is correct is a very, very bad thing.

Did you remove any wire nuts from any of the wires in the box, where there any?

Jamie

#7 · (Edited)
When you press the test button, do the outlets downstream get cut off?

To review the bidding:

Did you forget to press the reset button?

Incoming power (and neutral) to the Line terminals.

Receptacles downstream needing GFCI protection to the Load terminals (hot and neutral). This neutral is not tied to other neutrals in the box.

Receptacles downstream not needing GFCI protection to the Line terminals. Use pigtails as needed.

If downstream from the Load terminals has power but the GFCI receptacles themselves don't, you probably have a bad GFCI unit.

Some GFCI units have built in pigtails instead of screw terminals. Here, "terminal" refers to those also.

#9 ·
I reset the GFCI. When I test it, it does shut the other ones off.
The wires from each cable must stay together. That is, the black and white from one cable goes on the bottom, and the black and white from the other cable goes on top. I have seen it many times where the groups were mixed up and the GFCI didn't work. If the black from one cable and the white from the other go on top or bottom, the GFCI won't work.

#10 ·
The wires that are hot coming into the box that supply power to the outlet get connected like this to the side that says line;

Then the wires that go to the other outlets go on the side where the sticker was,the side labeled load.

The copper ground wires that are shown loose in this photo get tied together and attached to the green screw that you can see on this outlet (The GFCI). Also a connection to the box is necessary of the box is metal.

Assorted wire nuts (The tan ones are my favorite):

I just had to show off a few of my new tools since I was taking photos:

I hope these photos help clear up some things for you.

Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.