Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #1

Share |

Problems with Fluorescent garage lighting problem

I have a 10 year old house with a 2 car garage. Previously I had 2 incondescent single bulb fixtures which didn't put out a lot of light. So, I decided to install 2 brand new 8' High Output, cold start (I live in Wisconsin), fluorescent fixtures. The fixtures require T12 bulbs. First I installed the 110 watt bulbs, and later tried the 95 watt bulbs. I installed these lights in February (when it was cold), and they worked great until about April. That's when I started going through ballasts. I have now been through 6 ballasts between the 2 fixtures. The manufacture has been sending me new ones.

I'm wondering if the heat of summer would be causing these to burn out? Any idea why these ballasts would burn out? The store I bought them from will give me refund. Any suggestions on what I should replace them with?

Looking for a little advice?

tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

The codes T12, T8, etc. refer to the size (diameter) of the tube only.

What wattage of bulb (tube) is recommended for use with these ballasts? Use of the wrong wattage can cause the ballast to burn out from overheating. The combination of ambient temperature (temperature of the surroundings) and the current flowing through the ballast which also produces heat may result in the overheating.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #3

The ballast says it can handle a F96T12HO/ 95 watt bulb. That's what I'm currently running (and burned out a ballast tonight)...??
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

How you did mount the HO luminaire ?? if you mount right on the ceiling you are killing them due the heat from ballast get too hot so with all the High outputs you need 1.5 inch space between the ceiling and the flourscent luminaire.

That is the key issue I have see it not only happend in resdentail but in commercal as well.

let me know if that is correct.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

I was thinking about putting in a spacer...Do you think I could just use a piece of 2x4 as a spacer?

I talked to the manufacture and they said they could be mounted directly to the ceiling. It seems to me though that the lights started having problems when it got warmer outside. I think I will give this a try.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsherv View Post
I was thinking about putting in a spacer...Do you think I could just use a piece of 2x4 as a spacer?
Yeah please do use the 2X4 for spacer that will help a bit.

Quote:
I talked to the manufacture and they said they could be mounted directly to the ceiling. It seems to me though that the lights started having problems when it got warmer outside. I think I will give this a try.
Really?? I am suprised the manufacter did say that and who that manufacter did stated that I know majtory of flourscent luminaires will say with High Output flourscent luminaries you have to leave a spaceing on it.

The other thing if you use the F96T12HO/O bulbs they are ok for most useage but for super cold useage you should able find F96T12HO/LT { low tempture verison }

Merci.
Marc
Old 07-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #7

The whole experience has been quite frustrating. I've worked with both the manufacture and retailer. The technical support department from the manufacture has sent me 6 new ballasts. I even questioned them about heat being mounted to the ceiling and they said it shouldn't be a factor. The manufacture is Designers Edge.

After I shimmed the lights down, they are working fine so far! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Sure I am glad it will slove the issue and just keep us infomed if you have any more issue with it.

Did you buy them from one of the big box store ??? I have hunch due I heard that name before IMO they are ok to me.

Merci.
Marc
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #9

I didn't buy them at a big box. They came from a farm supply store called Farm and Fleet. It's a regional store in the midwest.

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Oh yeah the Farm and Fleet store I haven't see it for a while and I know there were two verison one is Blanie and the other one I think Mills if I recall it correct.

Merci.
Marc
Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #11

Look for a bad neutral in your panel [overvoltage or undervoltage] or a bad wirenut connection [undervoltage]. You could also compare the current drawn with the spec'd value.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Look for a bad neutral in your panel [overvoltage or undervoltage] or a bad wirenut connection [undervoltage]. You could also compare the current drawn with the spec'd value.
The OP posted that the problem had been resolved 2 days ago.

Quote:
After I shimmed the lights down, they are working fine so far! Keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsherv View Post
I even questioned them about heat being mounted to the ceiling and they said it shouldn't be a factor.

Has it solved the problem or just put off the failure date a little longer?
With one failure per month up to now, I guess no failures for two summers means it's likely the problem is solved.
The ceiling is uninsulated?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #14

I would definitly look for a bad neutral, could even be at the main panel or meter. Electronic ballasts go crazy if the neutral doesn't do what it is ment to do. Also make sure your neutral and ground are not bonded anywhere but the main panel.
mjsparky363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #15

I stand corrected.
Using the Poisson Distribution the stat guys on another forum tell me that if you have 3 consecutive summer months with no failure you can be 95% confident that the problem is fixed.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-23-2010 at 11:11 AM.