Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Problem Wiring Thermostat

Hey Guys,

I have a problem. I can't seem to figure it out. When we moved in the thermostat was working perfectly. We decided to remodel and do some updating to the house. We changed out all the plugs with more modern plugs and also the thermostat. I have never done a thermostat so I left it up to the brother in law. It's been this way for about 3 months, the thermostat never worked right. Last night we smelt a burning smell and I removed the cover to find this.

Now this is what i'm left with.

I have tested all 3 wires.

The black wire when touched to any red wire is 240v.
The red wire touched to another red wire is 0v
Either red wire touched to the ground is 120v
The black wire touched to the ground is 120v

I'm trying to hook this up to a single pole Thermostat that has 1 red wire and 1 black wire.

If someone could send me a little advise, it would be more then appreciated

MichaelLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

You need a new brother -inlaw!

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #3

lol... Any ideas? My educated guess would be to hook both red wires into the black and the black wire into the red.. But i'm not very educated in electrical...

The reason I say this is because the two red wires when hooked together have 0 voltage. The 1 black always has 120v when ground or 240v when touching another red wire.

The red wires get 120v when grounded but nothing when they touch each other.

This makes me think the 120v constant (black) needs to be on the red wire for the thermostat and the two red wires need to be on the heater load. That way when the adjustment is made we can regulate voltage from 120v to 240v by turning the knob?

I dunno...

Michael
MichaelLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 672

This is why Dave asks where you are located,so if you are local we could stop by.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #5

You need to find out if it is a 240v or 120v system. If you go running 240 through 120 your going to end up with alot more burning smells. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of your thermostat for a schematic. And for reference look at the data plate on your furnace for the voltages. It is hard to give good information when no one knows your system. I hope you didn't pay your brother in law for the work.
Kev05211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #6

In the mean time I would cap off those wires individually to keep everything isolated.
Kev05211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Interesting: Where are you located? This is the second post I've seen this morning showing a "thermostat" using either only two wires or now - three wires. The other post was from Canada. Maybe things are more different down here in the South than I had thought, but all the thermostats I have worked on have either four or six wires and much smaller wires (22 ga.?) at that. And I agree--you need a new BIL.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 508

Thurman: It's a line-voltage thermostat, used for directly controlling electric baseboard heat at 120 or 240 volts. I've never seen one myself either, but I've seen them a few times on this forum.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Uggh.

Assuming the brother-in-law reattached the wires in the same place as he removed them from, I'm going to say the only problem was that he got the wirenut on wrong (either loose connection caused heating, or some stray strands of wire shorted) - in which case, I would state to get a new thermostat with the same number and colors of conductors and reattach it where the old one was, being careful to make connections properly.

If, on the other hand, he changed stuff around... well, then we need to go forward with figuring out what all them there wirez is for.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

While I'm on this thread, this would be a good time to point out to the OP that the thermostat doesn't regulate the voltage to the heaters at all. All it does is compare the room temperature to the knob setting. If the room is below the temperature you have set, the heaters turn ON (full voltage, full power), and stay that way until the room is above the set temp, at which point they turn OFF. The thermostat is a simple switch, toggled by a little gremlin who has been trained to read a thermometer.

emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote