Problem With Wiring...celing Fan/switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

problem with wiring...celing fan/switch

I encounterd a problem...i wired up my celing fan incorrectly and now the switch doesn't work...when i hooked up the fan i accidently put the "Light"(blue) wire to the the "White" common wire, the "Light" (Blue) wire was suppose to be connected to the "Hot" (black) wire...Now my delima is the switch doesn't work...i dont think there is power going through the wiring, and i picked up a illuminecent light switch...the switch doesn't light up...the hall way light doesn't work also and i think the halway switch is connected to my celing switch......i replace all the switches and nothing goes on still...

what is my problem and what do i do to fix it?

Thank you very much....I'm a drywaller not an electritian...so thank you for your ear and your advice...

Jensen Hernandez

Advertisement

anywhofaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Master Of Nothing

Rewards Points: 75

Have you checked the breaker to make sure its not tripped? I would turn it off then back on again just to make sure. If there is NO power then it has to be traced back to the panel. Check the breaker for that circuit.

Problaby will have a red square next to the breaker to show it has tripped.

Also, are there any GFi;s in line with this switch? Might check the ones you have just to make sure none are feeding the switches.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #3

yeah i turned it off and on mutiple times...the breaker that is connected to my room is also connected to another room...all other electrcal outlets work...the other room's celing fan switch works...what would be another altreitive...i dont think there is anoter GFCI in another area besides the circutbreaker box...

should i mention the smoke detector went off when i switched the switch to the on position...

Last edited by anywhofaq; 05-08-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Master Of Nothing

There will be a GFI plug in the kitchen as well as bathroom. Bathrooms are suppose to be on a separate circuit, BUT I would check to see if it is tripped or at least that the plugs in those areas work. Never can tell how it was wired up.

Did you check for power at the fan and/or at the switch with a meter? I know you said that there was no power, just asking if thats an assumption or if you checked with a meter.

Other than that im little baffled. But them Im not electrician lol. Im sure one will chime in on this and find your problem!!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr500 View Post
There will be a GFI plug in the kitchen as well as bathroom. Bathrooms are suppose to be on a separate circuit, BUT I would check to see if it is tripped or at least that the plugs in those areas work. Never can tell how it was wired up.

Did you check for power at the fan and/or at the switch with a meter? I know you said that there was no power, just asking if thats an assumption or if you checked with a meter.

Other than that im little baffled. But them Im not electrician lol. Im sure one will chime in on this and find your problem!!

the new switched i installed has an illuminecent light on the top of the switch....and it is is not lighting up
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Master Of Nothing

It is suppose to yes, and it probably works, I was just saying I would check power anyway just to make sure.

I don't think that you broke the breaker lol, but I guess anything is possible, but I would trace out everything before i swapped out the breaker.

Other than that, im baffled.. Someone will chime in im sure!!

Mike
Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #7

Talking

thanks mike for your help....i really appreciate it
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Did you correct the wiring at the ceiling fan? Did you disconnect any wires at that box, or not reconnect them properly? Since that is where this all started, I'd check there first.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Did you correct the wiring at the ceiling fan? Did you disconnect any wires at that box, or not reconnect them properly? Since that is where this all started, I'd check there first.
I took the fan down and put my old light back up and still no juice...i checked the circut breaker...the circut breker for the 2 rooms are good...all the outlets work fine.

Advertisement