Problem With Standard Lamp - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Problem with Standard Lamp

Hi there

I'm in the Uk (230v) and need a little advice. I was already a member here so I thought I'd give you folks try.

My mother has a tall standard lamp in her living room. It gave quite a violent bang today when the bulb went. On unplugging the lamp and then attempting to remove the spent screw-in bulb (60w or 100w...can't remember), she noticed that the bulb came away from the actual screwed in threaded part of it, leaving this part screwed in.

Is this lamp a death trap waiting to happen or could it be the bulb? This is the second time it's banged very loudly when a bulb conks out. It almost requires a change of trousers (pants). This can't be right...surely?

Regards

Razorcut

Advertisement

razorcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

I actually read a story on this very happening, sometime in the past. It could not have been that long, as I remember reading it. The story was stating that most people put in new light bulbs wrong! Most people, me, put in new light bulbs until they are tight in the socket. According to this story, light bulbs should be put in only until they actually light up (are they saying it is not dangerous to install a light bulb with the power "ON"?) and then turn the bulb one-quarter of a turn. It seems there is a problem with today's mass-production light bulbs not being adequately secured into the metal base of the lamps. When you screw the lamp into the socket and tighten it up, you damage the material used to secure the glass part to the metal part which may cause a small leak later and let room air, containing water, into the glass area. You also bend down the little metal tab which the lamp contacts for the power/Hot to make the lamp work. When the vacuum of the bulb compromises and there is any moisture in the glassed in area, then Ka-Boom! This might be your case. Unplug the lamp, remove the broken part, visually inspect the socket for damage, and if no damage then proceed to install a new lamp using the stated direction for a trial run. Good Luck, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

if it were me, i'd rewire the thing from plug to socket.
sounds like old wire, loose connection, etc.
better safe than sorry!

DM
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #4

Hi there

Thank you so much to you both.

I've just found out that the offending lamp is one of a pair she has and the other doesn't seem to have had the same problem. Therefore, I've advised her that she throw the lamp away.

Thanks again. You've both been very kind.

Regards and a Very Merry Christmas

Razorcut
Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

throw it away??? MY wife would have me fixing it......
i hope she doesn't see this post, she'll want you to send it to us so i CAN fix it... lol

DM
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

NO, please, don't throw it away. OH, is that the one which has the post resembling a woman's leg and the green shade with fringes on it? Now, where did I see that one recently? Somewhere close to a BB gun I think. I think DM's spouse and mine must be kin as mine would have me also wiring this lamp from new plug to new light socket "razorcut", we all mean well and do joke occasionally, but we do appreciate the Christmas wishes, and we do wish you and family a very Merry Christmas (no Happy Holidays from me). Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
A Man With a Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
NO, please, don't throw it away. OH, is that the one which has the post resembling a woman's leg and the green shade with fringes on it? Now, where did I see that one recently?
Too funny! My girlfriend told us we had to watch this "classic" movie. I think the best part of the movie was the lamp!
rperry2394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

Did you mean bang or pop?

I think there is nothing wrong with the lamp (fixture). You may be able to get the base of the bulb out of the socket by holding the bulb using a washcloth to protect your hand, firmly but not forcefully pressing it into the socket, and twisting. If you are lucky, the fragments of glue that used to hold the bulb base on will interlock and twist the base out.

>>> trousers (pants)
>>> when you screw the lamp into the socket

Note that "lamp" also means "that which is commonly referred to as a light bulb" including a compact fluorescent screw in unit, where "bulb" refers to the glass part.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-23-2009 at 01:22 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #9

Thanks again guys. The Standard Lamp was binned days ago.

Thanks also for the Christmas humour.

AllanJ - Cheers for the terminology distinctions. Regarding the noise. It was a definite bang.

Regards

Razorcut

Advertisement