Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Problem putting in some wiring for entertainment center

I am trying to run some new wires to set up my entertainment system on a new wall. I am having a bit of a problem getting the wires up the wall into the attic. 2 things, first I think I am able to get the fish tape all the way up the wall, but i am trying to drill from the attic down into the space behind the drywall and it doesnt seem to be working. When drilling down through the 2x4 I hit some metal, which was really thin, and then more wood. I am through about 5-6 inches of wood and its still not into the space. How thick is the wood supposed to be here, its a exterior wall on the gable side of the house. There is also a power wire going down about 2 feet from where I am drilling down, but there is no outlet on that wall, any idea what that could be going to?

Should I just get a longer bit and keep drilling?

mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereno1 View Post
I am trying to run some new wires to set up my entertainment system on a new wall. I am having a bit of a problem getting the wires up the wall into the attic. 2 things, first I think I am able to get the fish tape all the way up the wall, but i am trying to drill from the attic down into the space behind the drywall and it doesnt seem to be working. When drilling down through the 2x4 I hit some metal, which was really thin, and then more wood. I am through about 5-6 inches of wood and its still not into the space. How thick is the wood supposed to be here, its a exterior wall on the gable side of the house. There is also a power wire going down about 2 feet from where I am drilling down, but there is no outlet on that wall, any idea what that could be going to?

Should I just get a longer bit and keep drilling?
How old of a house? Have photos? That top plate could be anything thing from a 2x4 to a 4x10 (or more likely double 2x10's) if it is structural.

You can get a flex bit from home depot that will drill through it.

The wire going down there could feed anything on that floor or the lower floor, no way to know without some specialized equipment or knocking a hole in the wall. That wire very well may be live and you DO NOT want to wrap it around your drill bit.

Cutting a hole in the drywall is likely the easiest and safest thing for you to do to get this done.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

House was built in 1965, its single story.

I would normally cut a piece out of the drywall to see what is going on, but the house was built with this crazy wood wall thing.

Here is what it looked like when we moved in.

we are putting slate over the fireplace hearth, and putting the entertainment center on the left of the fireplace after extending the hardwood to the wall.

You can see where the fish tape is going up and I really dont want to have to cut into the wood wall to get to the drywall at the ceiling edge. Ill get a pic of the attic side if necessary.

Any reason not to just drill farther with a longer bit?

I am assuming the other wire going down from the attic is live, and I need to put an outlet on that wall as well, so hopefully I can figure out where its going since it looks perfect for what I need
mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereno1 View Post
House was built in 1965, its single story.

I would normally cut a piece out of the drywall to see what is going on, but the house was built with this crazy wood wall thing.

Here is what it looked like when we moved in.

we are putting slate over the fireplace hearth, and putting the entertainment center on the left of the fireplace after extending the hardwood to the wall.

You can see where the fish tape is going up and I really dont want to have to cut into the wood wall to get to the drywall at the ceiling edge. Ill get a pic of the attic side if necessary.

Any reason not to just drill farther with a longer bit?

I am assuming the other wire going down from the attic is live, and I need to put an outlet on that wall as well, so hopefully I can figure out where its going since it looks perfect for what I need
You can drill it. Home depot has 6' bits plus extensions. Turn off that other wire if you can figure out what breaker it is on.

Flex bit can be trickey to guide. Take your time. If you have room just use a regular bit extension.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote