DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Problem with power (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/problem-power-107593/)

colu41 06-13-2011 08:49 PM

Problem with power
 
Have a very strange problem. It started with our dryer not working all of a sudden. Thinking it was the dryer then found out the oven didn't work also. (both on the same breaker). Instantly figured it was the breaker. Replaced it, and still nothing.

Tested the voltage in BOTH outlets. Full power. Now both the dryer and oven have Power Failure flashing, and I don't know what to do. Tried everything with the breaker wires. Tried running the dryer without the oven, and vice versa, and nothing.

The dryer is getting some power. When I hit the power button it flashes on really quick but shuts off. The oven, clock works, timers work, just no heat.

I'm running out of ideas.

darren 06-13-2011 08:53 PM

First off are you sure they are on the same breaker, these two items should have a dedicated circuit.

How did you test your devices. You should be testing for voltage, 240V between the two hots(red and black) and 120 from black and red to ground and neutral.

Since you say your timers work, my first guess would be that you lost one of your hots.

Test both hots to ground or neutral and see if you get 120V from each.

colu41 06-13-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren (Post 666828)
First off are you sure they are on the same breaker, these two items should have a dedicated circuit.

How did you test your devices. You should be testing for voltage, 240V between the two hots(red and black) and 120 from black and red to ground and neutral.

Since you say your timers work, my first guess would be that you lost one of your hots.

Test both hots to ground or neutral and see if you get 120V from each.

Well its a double circuit. 40a to each. And yes, I tested for 240 volts.

kbsparky 06-13-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colu41 (Post 666832)
.... And yes, I tested for 240 volts.

Did you test for a good neutral? Both of those appliances have controls that operate on 120 Volts ... :huh:

darren 06-13-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colu41 (Post 666832)
Well its a double circuit. 40a to each. And yes, I tested for 240 volts.

You should have a 2Pole for the stove and a seperate 2pole for the dryer. The dryer is usually 30A and the stove is either 40A or 50A. One breaker should not turn off both.

a7ecorsair 06-14-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colu41 (Post 666832)
Well its a double circuit. 40a to each. And yes, I tested for 240 volts.

What, may I ask, is a double circuit?

colu41 06-14-2011 04:20 PM

I guess I failed to mention I live in a trailer home. The breakers are much different I think.
I guess I call a "2 pole" double circuit :/ but yes, the oven and dryer run on one 2 pole breaker. Always has. Lived here for almost 5 years.

dmxtothemax 06-14-2011 08:17 PM

Sounds like you might have a loose connection some where !
this is limiting the current available,
With a light load there would be little loss,
which is why the meter read ok !
but put a serious load on,
and now the loss is now substancial.
Burnt out contacts, faulty wire, loose conections.

colu41 06-15-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmxtothemax (Post 667447)
Sounds like you might have a loose connection some where !
this is limiting the current available,
With a light load there would be little loss,
which is why the meter read ok !
but put a serious load on,
and now the loss is now substancial.
Burnt out contacts, faulty wire, loose conections.

in my homes electrical itself? Because tthat won't explain why the oven doesn't work either.... wondering if maybe I got some sort of power surge and it just blew out a fuse or wire in the oven and dryer...not sure

a7ecorsair 06-15-2011 05:21 PM

The control panel is most likely a 120 v part of the appliance so an open neutral somewhere in that daily chained circuit could affect only these two appliances. You will have to start at the panel board (circuit breaker box) and then the two connection points for the appliances and check for loose or corroded connections.

colu41 06-15-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a7ecorsair (Post 667831)
The control panel is most likely a 120 v part of the appliance so an open neutral somewhere in that daily chained circuit could affect only these two appliances. You will have to start at the panel board (circuit breaker box) and then the two connection points for the appliances and check for loose or corroded connections.

Well I did check the breaker, and actually bought a new one thinking that was it.

AllanJ 06-15-2011 08:43 PM

Are you getting 240 volts at the dryer receptacle? Are you getting 240 volts at the overn receptacle or junction box?

colu41 06-15-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 667976)
Are you getting 240 volts at the dryer receptacle? Are you getting 240 volts at the overn receptacle or junction box?

Im getting 240 at both outlets. BUT. I tested the leads on the back of the dryer. I get 120 on one side and 50 on the other. But when I disconnect the black wire, it measures 120.

So. From the black wire to neutral I get 50, and red to neutral get 120. But when I disconnect the black wire from the back of the dryer, I get 120.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.