Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2005, 02:27 AM   #1

Share |

Problem with 220v Advantium

Can we jumper the ground and neutral connectors in the 14-30 plugin? The advantium asks for a 3 conductor grounded wire for installation. We have a 10-2wire going to the plug. The circuit breaker box has neutral and the ground hooked together. What would be the difference or problem jumpering the ground and the neutral at the plug?
Leer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

First off, I do not know what an Advantium is. But....
I DO know that a 14-30 receptacle MUST have a 3-wire with ground feed. Normally a 10/3NM in a home.
You CANNOT!!!!! jumper the ground and neutral at the receptacle.
I know it seems simple enough, and that the ground and neutrals are on the same bars in the main panel, but this is dangerous, against code and not smart at all. It causes the ground conductor to carry current which is not what it is designed or intended to do.

You need to replace the current 10/2 with 10/3. You have no choice.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #3

so, It will be ok to run a new line from panel to receptacle (10/3nm) even though the neutral and ground are on the same bar in the panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
First off, I do not know what an Advantium is. But....
I DO know that a 14-30 receptacle MUST have a 3-wire with ground feed. Normally a 10/3NM in a home.
You CANNOT!!!!! jumper the ground and neutral at the receptacle.
I know it seems simple enough, and that the ground and neutrals are on the same bars in the main panel, but this is dangerous, against code and not smart at all. It causes the ground conductor to carry current which is not what it is designed or intended to do.

You need to replace the current 10/2 with 10/3. You have no choice.
Leer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Yes. Once any branch circuit leaves the main panel the grounds and neutrals MUST remain isolated.
Your 14-30 will have 4 places for wires; 2- hots, neutral & ground.