Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |
pro-sound matching amplifier with speakers

Does anyonw know about setting up pro-sound for live performances. I have a pair of mains speakers (yamaha s215v), each speaker cabinet has two 15" speakers and a horn, and have a power rating of 1000 wats program and 2000 watts max. I have two Berringer Europower EP2500 amplifiers that emitt 750 watts per channel. In the past I've used one Europower amp to run both speaker cabinets and it worked ok, but they didn't get much use. I recently learned that you can blow your speakers by using too little power for the speakers. Since I have two Europower amps, I can go bridged-mono mode, which emmits 1200 watts from each amp (both channells combined). Should I go bridged-mono to provide more watts to each cabinet and use one amp per cabinet or stay using one amp for both cabinets in parrallel mode?
cadenriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #2

You can't "blow" your speakers from using too little power. You can burn out a channel by having too little draw to complete your circuit...

Using bridged mono and 1 speaker per amp should be fine and sound really good. Make sure the resistance of the speakers matches the amp
wylker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wylker For This Useful Post:
cadenriver (03-15-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Yeah, if you have two amps why not use them in bridged mono? Or, you could add two more speakers and leave them in dual mode.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brik For This Useful Post:
cadenriver (03-15-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

Thanks for your responses. Do you guys think 12 awg wire is sufficient wiring for the amps to speakers?
cadenriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Depends on the length. Typically, yes.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brik For This Useful Post:
cadenriver (03-15-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

How having too little power blows speakers.

When a speaker system is rated for so many watts, the tweeter is rated for a fraction of that based on sounds heard in everyday life where high frequency content is a small fraction of the total sound.

When an amplifier, particularly a non-vacuum-tube amp, is overloaded, the output is unusually rich in high frequency content. This greatly increases the chance that the audio going into the speaker, although far below the overall speaker system rating, exceeds what the tweeter can handle.

When one speaker just matches the amplifier impedance for example amp and speaker are each 8 ohms, and you want to add another speaker, connect the speakers in series.

With speakers in series, the overall impedance is greater (16 ohms for two 8 ohm speakers). With speakers in parallel the overall impedance is less (half that or 4 ohms for two 8 ohm speakers). The amp is more likely to blow out if you put on too low a speaker impedance.

Do not connect two amps to the same set of speaker terminals except by using bridging as permitted by the amp instructions.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-15-2010 at 11:21 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
cadenriver (03-15-2010)

Tags
amplifiers, bridged mono, bridged-mono, speakers, watts