Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

print a circuit directory

how do I create a custom circuit breaker directory for my breaker box to print

newby-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

I have a bunch of Excel format directories you can print out on letter paper. I use full page display pouches with sticky backs stuck inside panel doors. This way you can slip the directory in the pouch and remove it later to make changes.

I can e-mail the files to you if you like.

Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
electures (07-03-2011), In Style (07-03-2011)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

For each room, e.g., upstairs NW room, I go clockwise around the room for each outlet, plus the overhead lamp.
It's a lot of outlets.

You can also find out, by measurement, which outlet is downstream of which.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
karlratti (09-27-2012)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,452

Like SP said, Excel makes it very easy to create a panel directory. Instead of a drop-in sleeve I print mine on full sheet sticker material.

Use descriptive names like Front bedroom, master bedroom etc. Just labeling things Lights and Plugs does not meet the code requirement.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I actually use a table in word. Print it out, cut out the page border and stuff to make it smaller, and tack it on the plywood the panel is on. That way if I change something I just reprint a new copy and put it up.

I use descriptions like "plug near window in spare bedroom" if there's more then one breaker for same room.

If I really wanted to get fancy I could just number the plugs and label them all, like I did with the network jacks.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Red, at leat here in the US usage of the spare bedroom label would not fly. When someone uses that bedroom the label is no longer descriptive as there is no spare bedroom. This is similar to labeling Marys bedroom and Mary moves out and the house is sold.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I have a bunch of Excel format directories you can print out on letter paper. I use full page display pouches with sticky backs stuck inside panel doors. This way you can slip the directory in the pouch and remove it later to make changes.

I can e-mail the files to you if you like.
Please! I need some help.
In Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #8

See attached .zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Panel Directories.zip (39.4 KB, 2695 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
electures (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 506

I'm guessing descriptors like 2F SW bedroom would be the kind of stuff that would meet code, but where in code should I read to understand panel labelling requirements?
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Will, 225.37 would be the requirement for the directory. I would think your 2nd flr SW bedroom would be descriptive enough.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #11

Jim, I think this is more applicable:

408.4 Field Identification Required.

(A) Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification.
Every circuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identification shall include sufficient detail to allow each circuit to be distinguished from all others. Spare positions that contain unused overcurrent devices or switches shall be described accordingly. The identification shall be included in a circuit directory that is located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and located at each switch or circuit breaker in a switchboard. No circuit shall be described in a manner that depends on transient conditions of occupancy.

Here is the handbook commentary on this:
Quote:
The requirement to provide an up-to-date, accurate, and legible circuit directory applies to panelboards and switchboards covered in Article 408. The circuit directory is an important feature for the safe operation of an electrical system under normal and emergency conditions. The purpose of an accurate and legible circuit directory in these types of equipment is to provide clear identification of circuit breakers and switches that may need to be operated by service personnel or others responding who need to operate a switch or circuit breaker in an emergency. This requirement is specific to switchboards and panelboards; however, the identification requirements of 110.22 apply to all disconnecting means.

Section 408.4 requires that the identification for every circuit supplied by a panelboard or switchboard be legible and clearly state the specific purpose for which the circuit is used.

Circuits used for the same purpose must be identified as to their location. For example, small-appliance branch circuits can supply outlets in the kitchen, dining room, and kitchen countertops. Identifying these circuits as small-appliance branch circuits is not acceptable; instead, they should be identified as “kitchen wall receptacles,” “dining room floor receptacle,” or “kitchen countertop receptacles left of sink.” Circuit directories containing multiple entries with only “lights” or “outlets” do not provide the sufficient detail required by this section.

Spare devices are required to be marked to indicate that they are spares. Markings are required to indicate permanent features and not temporary conditions of occupancy. For example, a circuit breaker supplying an office and labeled with the name of the employee loses meaning when the employee no longer occupies that office.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (07-03-2011), jrclen (10-27-2012)
Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

You are correct Petey, I only searched the PDF for "directory". It was't the one that you posted and I was still on the first cup of coffee. Good call and thanks.
Speedy Petey (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I guess here we don't have any codes on panel labeling. Most houses I've been to hardly label anything. When I moved into mine there was not a single label on the panel. It was fun doing it from scratch. I turned everything in the house on, then would go downstairs to turn off one breaker, then test empty outlets and see what turned off and mark it down, then move on to the next breaker.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Space Options Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
See attached .zip file.
Wow, thanks for the great forms. I realize it has been a while since the post but I just found this, downloaded and am using on my jobs. I appreciate the effort to make them and share them in the forum.
Chris Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Crawford For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post

You can also find out, by measurement, which outlet is downstream of which.
Good trick, how is that done?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
jlmran (10-28-2012)