Primarily Dining Room Questions, But A Few Others - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

primarily dining room questions, but a few others

Hi, I have a few questions regarding the small appliance branch requirements for a dining room.

1) What exactly does the NEC define as a dining room? What I call my dining room can easily be a living room, and my living room can easily be a dining room (the rooms are open with a pony wall separating the rooms somewhat). In fact, the area that my table sits in is bigger than my living room, and if someone wanted to swap rooms, then they'd have fun running a blender in the kitchen while watching TV, which brings me to my next question...

2) The dining room circuits can be taken directly off one of the kitchen countertop SABC, but just can't count towards the two countertop receptacle per circuit, correct? Same thing for a fridge sharing a circuit, correct?

3) Is there a maximum spacing requirement between outlets in a dining room (like the 4ft countertop), or is it just 12ft like a general receptacle?

4) Regarding a 20amp circuit for a dishwasher..that can share lighting, correct?

5) Laundry room 20amp: the circuit can supply all receptacles in a laundry room, not just one behind the washer, correct?

6) Attic lighting and a receptacle up there: is it ok to tie this into a bedroom circuit?

7) Bathroom: I'm unclear on this as well. Regarding the dedicated 20amp circuit: the circuit can supply bathroom lighting and fans, just not downstream from the GFI outlet, right?

Thank you.
Thank you.

Advertisement

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonglebeak View Post
Hi, I have a few questions regarding the small appliance branch requirements for a dining room.

1) What exactly does the NEC define as a dining room? What I call my dining room can easily be a living room, and my living room can easily be a dining room (the rooms are open with a pony wall separating the rooms somewhat). In fact, the area that my table sits in is bigger than my living room, and if someone wanted to swap rooms, then they'd have fun running a blender in the kitchen while watching TV, which brings me to my next question... The NEC does not define a dining room.

2) The dining room circuits can be taken directly off one of the kitchen countertop SABC, but just can't count towards the two countertop receptacle per circuit, correct? Same thing for a fridge sharing a circuit, correct? The dining circuit can be share one or both of the SABC. Two SABC must serve the countertop. The fridge can be on the SABC.

3) Is there a maximum spacing requirement between outlets in a dining room (like the 4ft countertop), or is it just 12ft like a general receptacle? Follow the 6/12 rule.

4) Regarding a 20amp circuit for a dishwasher..that can share lighting, correct? No, many will call for individual circuits for the DW.

5) Laundry room 20amp: the circuit can supply all receptacles in a laundry room, not just one behind the washer, correct? It can supply all the receptacles in the laundry room including the washer.

6) Attic lighting and a receptacle up there: is it ok to tie this into a bedroom circuit? No code against this.

7) Bathroom: I'm unclear on this as well. Regarding the dedicated 20amp circuit: the circuit can supply bathroom lighting and fans, just not downstream from the GFI outlet, right? If the circuit supplies lights, fans and the receptacle it must only serve one bathroom.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Answers in blue.

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Thank you for the answers. I do have one question regarding the DW circuit. Is there any particular reason why this is against code? The max amperage for my dw is 8.3A, and could easily share lighting. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
www.inspectorzo.com

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Great answers from Jim.
The requirement for a dedicated circuit for your DW is not code driven but manufacturer driven. Most do not want to rely on whatever else you have drawing power from their appliance. Same goes for other appliances in a kitchen.
If you google search your brand DW, the installation instructions will tell you if they require a dedicated circuit.
Take care,

InspectorZo

Quote:
Thank you for the answers. I do have one question regarding the DW circuit. Is there any particular reason why this is against code? The max amperage for my dw is 8.3A, and could easily share lighting. Thank you.
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

Thank you for the clarifications, and yes, Jim's answers are invaluable.

Regarding the DW, I looked up the installation PDF

http://www.whirlpool.com/digitalasse...ruction_EN.pdf

Here's what it says about electrical requirements:

"
You must have:

120-volt, 60 Hz, AC-only, 15- or 20-amp, fused electrical
supply.

Copper wire only.
We recommend:

A time-delay fuse or circuit breaker.

A separate circuit"

I should be in the clear since it's a recommendation, but not a requirement, right?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
www.inspectorzo.com

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Quote:
Thank you for the clarifications, and yes, Jim's answers are invaluable.

Regarding the DW, I looked up the installation PDF

http://www.whirlpool.com/digitalasse...ruction_EN.pdf

Here's what it says about electrical requirements:

"
You must have:

120-volt, 60 Hz, AC-only, 15- or 20-amp, fused electrical
supply.

Copper wire only.
We recommend:

A time-delay fuse or circuit breaker.

A separate circuit"

I should be in the clear since it's a recommendation, but not a requirement, right?
If you have a warranty claim later, they may reject it because it did not have a dedicated service. It's not a big deal but better you're informed than not.
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorZo View Post
If you have a warranty claim later, they may reject it because it did not have a dedicated service. It's not a big deal but better you're informed than not.
Thank you. I'll take the risk, so long as it's legal otherwise. I have a 100amp panel and only twenty slots. 10 are used up by 240 devices (dryer, heat pump, heat pump aux element, water heater, stove), so that leaves 10 for 120 circuits and want to squeeze what I can. I appreciate everybody's help. Thanks again.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tonglebeak For This Useful Post:
InspectorZo (04-25-2013)