Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Share |

price to replace a electrical outlet

hi all,

I am bidding a job, and the client has asked me to finish staining and polyurethaning some kitchen cabinets. I have never bid a job like this and was wondering if anyone could point me in some direction on how to bid it.

thanks,

brook

Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeard View Post
hi all,

I am bidding a job, and the client has asked me to finish staining and polyurethaning some kitchen cabinets. I have never bid a job like this and was wondering if anyone could point me in some direction on how to bid it.

thanks,

brook
Time and materials.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

I am bidding a job and they are asking me to replace all the outlets with new ones of a different colour. What should I expect to charge per outlet to replace?

thanks,

Brook
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Are you an electrician?
Are you qualified/licensed/insured to do electrical work?

You should expect to charge what it takes to run your business and make some money. Do you know what those numbers are???
NO ONE can tell you what YOU should charge. NO ONE!
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Anti-wingnut (07-14-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #5

I'm a handyman that has ventured out on his own. I have been in construction business for about 20 yrs and have replacement many of outlets but am trying to determine how to charge / bill my client. I found a website saying I should charge in upward of $25 per outlet and that seemed excessive.

Just trying to get some help.

Thanks,

Brook
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
I'm a handyman that has ventured out on his own. I have been in construction business for about 20 yrs and have replacement many of outlets but am trying to determine how to charge / bill my client. I found a website saying I should charge in upward of $25 per outlet and that seemed excessive.

Just trying to get some help.

Thanks,

Brook
So are you bonded & insured in your locality to perform this work.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Look up how much typical electricians charge per hour, figure how long it takes you to change an outlet, add maybe 25% more time to factor in if you hit a hard one (wire too short for example). Then do that math, and charge that.

Now that I got that answered, if you are an electrician, I'd figure you would already know this, if you just decided you want to start doing electrical for others, do realize there may be some political stuff involved here, such as they'll expect you to be licensed, insured, etc... you can't just go do that stuff. You may be good and know what you're doing and do as good of a job as an electrician, but if you don't have those papers you could find yourself in hot water.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the response...

how would you figure the cost? I understand T&M, but would you inform the client that it was a t&m and your rate?

thanks,

brook
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #9

To begin : make sure you have a grounding wire or means.Then take material cost x115%+hourly wage+overhead+profit= total job price
/# of units=$ per unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (10-05-2013)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
I am bidding a job and they are asking me to replace all the outlets with new ones of a different colour. What should I expect to charge per outlet to replace?

thanks,

Brook
I'd say a few bucks each plus the cost of the receptacle. If they are very expensive receptacles in a high-end environment, you might push $10 apiece profit. Standard recepts in a middle class venue, maybe $3-5 each. It should take less than 2 minutes each once you get rolling, 5 minutes per GFCI. You might run into one or two that are "weird" for some reason and take 10-15 minutes to solve some problem, but it should be a quick job. I replaced all the receptacles in my 1900sqft house in under an hour.

Make sure you do it right. Test each one with a receptacle tester to confirm the wiring is correct (you never know what weird crap someone else did inside the walls that you can't see...) and have the owner get an electrician to fix any problems.

And don't even think about working hot. Not only is it stupid, it will slow you down and kill your profit margin. Just shut off the main and GO.

Note: Having the right tools and a good bit of experience is the key to achieving this speed. Use a light but fast drill/driver with a quick change bit holder: slotted for the plates, square drive for the terminals. A good variable trigger matters. Being able to instantly cut/strip with plain wire cutters is a useful skill too. Un-package all your new plates and recepts in advance and carry them with you in separate bags, with another bag for the old ones. At a profit of $5-10 per recept (whatever you can get away with), you should make hundreds per hour on this job.

Last edited by mpoulton; 07-14-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Not so new

Time+Material+Overhead+Profit=Cost
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the response...

how would you figure the cost? I understand T&M, but would you inform the client that it was a t&m and your rate?

thanks,

brook
Customers don't want to hear an open ended cost scenario. So you would figure out how long the job would take you to do. How much the materials will cost. And as 12Penny said add profit and overhead. You add that all up and there's your estimate.
That's the figure you give to the homeowner.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I'd say a few bucks each plus the cost of the receptacle. If they are very expensive receptacles in a high-end environment, you might push $10 apiece profit. Standard recepts in a middle class venue, maybe $3-5 each. It should take less than 2 minutes each once you get rolling, 5 minutes per GFCI. You might run into one or two that are "weird" for some reason and take 10-15 minutes to solve some problem, but it should be a quick job. I replaced all the receptacles in my 1900sqft house in under an hour.

Make sure you do it right. Test each one with a receptacle tester to confirm the wiring is correct (you never know what weird crap someone else did inside the walls that you can't see...) and have the owner get an electrician to fix any problems.

And don't even think about working hot. Not only is it stupid, it will slow you down and kill your profit margin. Just shut off the main and GO.

Note: Having the right tools and a good bit of experience is the key to achieving this speed. Use a light but fast drill/driver with a quick change bit holder: slotted for the plates, square drive for the terminals. A good variable trigger matters. Being able to instantly cut/strip with plain wire cutters is a useful skill too. Un-package all your new plates and recepts in advance and carry them with you in separate bags, with another bag for the old ones. At a profit of $5-10 per recept (whatever you can get away with), you should make hundreds per hour on this job.
I would hire you but I don't want to work for you I think your time estimates are pie in the sky, no one could work that fast.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (10-05-2013), stickboy1375 (10-05-2013)
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #14

Try to feel out how willing they are to find someone else to do the job. Even better: try to get a quote from other local contractors by describing the job and use those numbers as a starting point.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #15
Mod

How about this, be honest with the customer and tell them you have no experience with this and it would be in their best interest to find someone else that does.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
12penny (07-15-2011), BigJim (07-15-2011), Jay123 (07-17-2011), TheDoorGuy (07-16-2011)
Closed Thread