Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Prewiring for motorized blinds

Hi all!

I am interested in using motorized blinds for 2 windows in my new bathroom. I want to install the wiring at the top inside of the window next to where the blind will attach. I want to go with DC and wondering what the acceptable method is for making this wiring run. Can I just run the DC wiring from the switch to the window, through a hole and let it sit there for inspection? What do you do with the transformer? Can it be buried in the drywall?

wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You should probably keep the transformer exposed in the basement or wherever, and run the low voltage DC wires in the walls. I don't know what is "code" for that, but regardless I would put a fuse right after the transformer.

elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

You cant bury the transformer. Also, look at putting the transformer in an out of the way area such as in the basement. The transformers can be noisy. The low voltage wire is cheap so putting the transformer a distance away is not usually an issue. My preference, for the transformer, would be near the service panel.

Will you be switching AC or DC? Regardless, my advice on transformer placement is the same. Junction box requirements are very different for ac and dc. For DC, yes, you can just poke the wire through. May not even need inspected.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #4

I'll be DC switching too. They require a 7 conductor wire. 3 for the transformer and 4 for the switch.

So at the window frame location, I can just poke the wire through? Inspector won't care either way?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #5

ALSO...I would like to wire one blind with an AC connection. I would really appreciate any tips on roughing that kind of connection in. I'd like to wire it to a switch. I'm very curious to know how the rough in is made at the window.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #6

Bump.

Justed wanted to see how you rough in an AC motorized blind. Pigtail in the windows sash?