Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #1

Share |

prewire for alarm

I want to prewire a room for an alarm system. Unfortunately I don't know what I am doing and am in a big hurry
The room has 6 windows and 1 door. Does this diagram look right???
Attached Thumbnails
prewire for alarm-alarm.jpg  

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

prewire for alarm

If all of the windows are on the same zone then no. What you have there is parallel wiring. You have to series wire them so that any break in the continuous loop will open the zone. The door contact looks okay. I like to wire everything as a home run back to the panel so that at any time I can change zones on individual devices.

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

prewire for alarm

I do not know all the proper terms and symbols. But is this what I want?? The switches would be normally closed.

Home run back to panel?? Run 1 double wire for each window to the panel??

Thanks for the response JIm
Attached Thumbnails
prewire for alarm-wireing-alarm.jpg  
Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

prewire for alarm

I have been installing alarms for 5 years. First off are these windows on the first floor of the house and are the walls open? Because if they are i would wire each window individually and drop a tail into the basement and run a loop to connect them all. If you have never done this before you can really mess up your windows and second of all what type of contacts are you using? We drill into the windows all the time but we are trained and also drilling into the window voids any warranty with the window. I would suggest either calling an alarm company or just doing them wireless. If you want to attempt to do this yourself run a twist which is a 2 wire to the door homerun. And run a twist to each window and drop a tail or you can attempt to run them all on 1 shot but do not leave any splices where you cannot get to them. If you have to, solder them so you know they will never fail.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #5

prewire for alarm

Yes the correct contacts would be Normally closed. Your second drawing is the correct series path for the loop. I would either run a two wire cable from each window to the panel or as Chevyman said bring them down to the basement and use a tail from each window and run your loop from there back to the panel.
There are all kinds of different contacts available. You can use hidden contacts that are drilled into the window stool and have a hidden magnet that attaches to the window sash or use a surface mounted or push button type. If this is new construction and things are opened up then it is much easier. Also as Chevyman said the first floor is easier than the upper floors. If you are doing the first floor and you have an unfinished space underneath then it is much easier. There are also different types of door contacts. I like to use a hidden button type on the hinge side of the jamb when possible, but here again you could use a surface mount type if need be.
I would suggest you visit a local alarm supply house or do an online search and read about all of the different equipment out there.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #6

prewire for alarm

Thanks for the input, I truly appreciate it. I will go with a wire from each contact to the future panel box. Makes sense and leaves a lot of redundancy.
JIm
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #7

prewire for alarm

If you're allowed to use #30 wirewrap wire, it is almost invisible. The insulation is good to 100v.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #8

prewire for alarm

You can run each contact back to the panel it will work just fine but say you have 5 windows that would be 10 two wires which would all have to be looped in the panel. This would make for a messy and confusing panel. Do what you want I am just trying to make life easier for you. Also now you have a lot more wires in the box to keep track of. Also now where are you going to put the eol? You can put in in the panel but now you are not supervising the wires.

Last edited by Chevyman30571; 06-17-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #9

prewire for alarm

So much info, you guys are great!! Confusing though. I was in a big hurry but had to order the wire, so now have a few days to put some more thought into this.
I went to the library and picked up a few books on security, but they do not seem to be much help.
I have a room opened up, I am putting in new windows, doors, drywall etc. It is in FL in a concrete block house so no basement or easy way to run things. So it is get er done now or everything will have to be wireless.
I have 6 windows and 1 exterior door and 1 interior door, 3 windows are mulled together on 2 walls, maybe a good approach would be 1 wire from each set of windows to the panel and one wire from each door??
Do you use solid or stranded wire????
JIm