Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Prevent Electrical surges with surge outlet?

Somehow two fuses tripped at once in our home. This has never occurred in the 18 years we have lived here. One line took out the power source on my desk top computer costing me $100 to repair. The computer repair person said line surges just happen and we have to put up with up computers being at risk. They see this situation and type of repair often.

I have read and been told a variety of things about sugre protectors not really being effective unless you spend at least over $35 up to over $100 on them. I have also read that once a fuse has been tripped the surge protector is probably no longer effective. I came across outlets that protects against power surges in my research as well. I have also wondered whether or not a computer needs it's own line like other home appliances? The computer repair person said this in all likely hood such an outlet would not have protected my computer and I need not bother with a separate line.

Can anyone address the above four issues or add any other information that would help me to avoid this situation again and protect my computer.

Thank you

tapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

1. fuses tripping have nothing to do with power surges. 2 fuses tripping at once suggests a problem in the wiring somewhere or a wierd periodic short circuit.

2. If the receptacle that the computer is plugged into is not grounded surge protectors cannot do their job. in that case, a new grounded circuit plus a reasonable priced surge protector ($40 and up) will serve you well. I like the ones with an indicator light showing that the circuit is grounded and protected. pay a little more and get one that protects phone and coax as well.

kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,478

Perhaps the computer supply going bad tripped the fuse and not the other way around. Power supplies do go bad for no apparent reason other than age.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,134

Fuses don't trip, they blow. Breakers trip. Not sure which ones you are talking about.

Surge protectors do not stop all surges. They are intended to stop massive surges like lightning strikes or dropping a 12kv line on a 120V line. They do nothing for other overvoltage conditions, unless that overvoltage exceeds their clamping voltage. Clamping voltage is generally over 300V.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote