Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Architectural Sculptor

Share |

Prescolite exit sign

I have a prestolite illuminated exit sign for my gallery building which has a battery charge circuit and a 120v input.
I am replacing the two broken 2 pin G23 base CFL bulbs in it with new ones, the thing is the battery is gone, so there would be no battery backup light.

I tried to find out if having the battery backup is even required in Iowa, or for a business only open one day a week in the summer during the daylight afternoon hours, but I didn't find much of anything of any use.

Seems silly to have a backup light in it when it's over a glass entrance door with huge glass windows above and all around the door facing the sunlit street.
It does not have the flood light bulbs I've seen in basements and dark hallways, it just illuminates the red cutout "EXIT" on the unit itself. I can see needing it in a basement, dark hallway or back room though, but it doesn't look like the battery has been in it for a long time if ever, I assume it was bad and removed, or more likely never installed.

Anyone know for sure if it's required to have the battery backup in it functional?
If so I guess I can get a battery for it, if not then I won't bother with another system that has to be checked and maintained by putting a battery back in.

Last edited by RWolff; 05-04-2013 at 04:04 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Prescolite exit sign

Can't speak for where you are, but exit lights and emergency lights require a 90 minute light time when power goes out, or it has to be connected to the generator circuit.

RWolff (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Prescolite exit sign

Check with your Fire Marshal.
RWolff (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Prescolite exit sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Can't speak for where you are, but exit lights and emergency lights require a 90 minute light time when power goes out, or it has to be connected to the generator circuit.
The unit has a label that states it is rated for a 1.5 hour battery lighting time, so the unit itself meets that and the battery required appears to run around $12 to replace, so Iguess I'll just stick a new battery in the thing and be done with it.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
jbfan (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Prescolite exit sign

Exit signs require illumination independent of building power* in every jurisdiction I am aware of. The point is for the sign to remain lit if there is a fire or other emergency which kills the room lights. Natural light cannot be relied upon - while you might only plan to be open during the day, you could change your hours at any time and the building has to be safe night and day.

* - emergency power systems may be an exception.
RWolff (05-05-2013)