Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Pre-wired coaxial cable mapping & digital antenna set up

I recently purchased a home with coaxial cable hook-ups in each room (including the 2nd floor bedrooms) and an aggregation point in the basement where the outside feed connects to a series of splitters that run to each room. I would like to use these coaxial lines to connect a digital tv antenna in one of the 2nd floor bedrooms to the television in our family room, since our indoor antenna (Weingard Model SS 3000) isn't receiving all channels when positioned on the 1st floor. Unfortunately, the lines running out of the splitter are not clearly labeled, so I am having trouble determining which line runs to bedroom where I want to position the antenna. I tried a couple lines that I thought might be the right one, but without success.

Here are my questions: (1) how can I test the lines to map which line at the basement splitter runs to bedroom I want to use? (2) are their any inherent flaws in what I am trying to do (antenna on 2nd floor, connected into wall coaxial connection, running to basement splitter, then connected into coaxial that runs to tv connection)? (3) since there is probably 50 feet of coaxial and 3 connections between antenna and tv, do I need an amplifier? Any advice or suggested website resources would be appreciated. My wife is betting I can't figure this out, so the stakes are high.....Thanks!

BadHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

Cheap DIY wire tracer.

http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender.../dp/B000BO6Y1O

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
JOATMON

Or a simple ohm meter. With non of the cables hookd up, short one end and then use the ohm meter to figure out when one has the short.

BTW....no such thing as a digital antenna. HD digital broadcast works just fine with your standard antenna. Most of the channels are in the UHF range so a UHF only antenna works just as well.

As for splitters and amplifiers....each time you split the signal, your cutting the power by 3db...or half.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

ddawg16, even easier is just get a rf modulator, feed each line with a feed from a dvd player or use game system, then hook a tv to the room that you want the antenna in. Which ever line completes the circuit, you know that is the one. OP, it is not called an aggregation point btw, and that antenna is a POS. Ditch it, and get a real antenna, that you can place on the roof of the structure.

Use http://tvfool.com/ to figure out how far the stations are from you, and best antenna to use. All of the parts can be purchased at your local Radio shack, or can be ordered at their website and shipped to your home. Even better, find out if there is a ma & pop shop that does satellite & ham antenna work, and they may be able to do the hard work of installing the antenna. In reality, unless you are out in the country, in the long term, you do not save any money going with just OTA, due to you burn up the extra with streaming video services, and dvd rentals. Now, if you have Satellite already, you would have all the locals, and not need a OTA antenna.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

I didn't know people still used antennas
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT
I didn't know people still used antennas
Yep, they are making a comeback. People are acting as if this is a new technology. Problem is, OTA has been around for what, something like seventy years.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-31-2011 at 09:54 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #7

An antenna on the roof is best!

Some of these will also receive FM radio.

I live in the country and have the largest TV antenna radio shack sells and also have an amplifier (also from Radio Shack).

The amplifier is installed from the antenna coax, then from there to splitters, then to each room. And then a Digital Set Top Box in each room (to receive the new digital TV local stations).

Where there is a TV and stereo FM receiver, I have a FM/TV splitter - also from Radio Shack.

In my case I don't get anything without the above. But if you live in a city with local TV, a small antenna on the roof and no amplifier should work.

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote