Pre-wire House For Future Hot Tub During Reno: Suggestions? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

Pre-wire house for future hot tub during reno: suggestions?

Purchased an older home I'm doing some remodeling on. Upgraded the panel from 100amp to 200amp service as my wife wants to get a hot tub in the future. Doing a bunch of reno and have most the walls open to run wire to the panel.

Would like to run wire from the box to an outdoor 50-60amp subpanel for whichever future spa we purchase. What wire do most people run that is safe and economical? I'm thinking something at least #4awg.

Am I able to run NM cable through the wall directly to an outdoor subpanel? Or does it have to be UF since technically about 6" will be outside the wall in the panel?

I'm expecting the spa to be within the 10-15' range distance from the house, and potentially from the subpanel. Not sure if it's best to just put a disconnect, or subpanel to disconnect...

There's so much info out there, and some is conflicting so I apologize in advance for any redundancy or ridiculousness of my questions. I just want a good safe future proof setup so I don't have to rip up walls again to replace any wires.

Thanks all!

Advertisement

Quicksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 118

most hot tubs that i have seen require 6/3 with an insulated ground, that should handle most hot tubs unless you are going for something extreme

Advertisement

Mikey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1 View Post
most hot tubs that i have seen require 6/3 with an insulated ground, that should handle most hot tubs unless you are going for something extreme
Yeah, for the run from the subpanel or disconnect I'll be running 4 #6 THHN through conduit to the hot tub. It's just matter of future proofing the run from the 200amp box inside the house to the subpanel outside the house.
Quicksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 3,022

I would run cable from the panel to a junction box on the outside wall nearest the tub location. 6/3 MC cable will provide the required insulated ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
electures (08-04-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 398

I've had a hot tub in my back yard next to the above ground pool. We used it mainly in the spring and fall, but the thing is always running, filtering the water or maintaining the temperature. Last fall the pump died late in the season and I didn't have time to mess with it so we drained it completely and left it alone. My electricity bill dropped by over 25% as a result. Just an FYI.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksmoke View Post
It's just matter of future proofing the run from the 200amp box inside the house to the subpanel outside the house.
as i said 6/3 with an insulated ground will be sufficient for most hot tubs out there, unless you are going for something overly huge and extreme

Advertisement

Mikey1 is offline   Reply With Quote