Powering A Shed From Old Pool Circuit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Powering a Shed from old Pool circuit

Howdy folks.

We're adding a shed to the backyard, and I'd like it to have a few outlets and a light or two - So by my judgement, one 15A circuit is in order.

Here's the complication - Our home used to have a pool, which was removed well before we moved in. We only know about it because it was still listed on the tax card, and the circuit breaker for the filter pump was still labeled (but switched off). We'renot even sure exactly where the pool was.

However, the wires for the pool filter are still under the back yard, and likely very close to the shed. (Before you all freak out, They are tied off inside the breaker box, now, I disconnected them when I saw they had not been removed). Rather than dig a new trench, I'd like to install a GFCI Breaker and reconnect the old pool lines, provided I can FIND them, and reroute them to the shed.

So:
A) What's the best way to find underground unpowered electreical lines?
B) Is it worth trying to repurpose the old lines, or just pull them out and start over?
C) Any hicccups I should anticipate?

Thanks,
- Pep

Advertisement

Last edited by Pepster3; 09-12-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: edit: Correct a fat finger error.
Pepster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

What kind of wire is it? How many conductors? Buried wire must 12" deep (if you have GFCI protection) or 18" (no gfci). The two choices for copper are direct-bury UF wire or THWN conductors in conduit.

How do you plan to extend from the current wires to the shed? They do make underground splice kits that use heatshrink. I'd dig a new trench and run 12/3 cable (red, white, black, ground) and run a MWBC (multiwire branch circuit) attached to a 20Amp double-pole breaker. This will give you two code-compliant 20-amp circuits with a shared neutral. Sounds like overkill, but not much more money, and MUCH more leeway to do whatever you want in the shed. If you feed it with a double-pole GFCI breaker, (expensive), you only have to dig 12". Or, you can feed it with a normal breaker (cheap) and provide GFCI-protection where required/wanted at the shed with outlets.

Advertisement

Last edited by secutanudu; 09-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
What kind of wire is it? How many conductors? Buried wire must 12" deep (if you have GFCI protection) or 18" (no gfci). The two choices for copper are direct-bury UF wire or THWN conductors in conduit.

How do you plan to extend from the current wires to the shed? They do make underground splice kits that use heatshrink. I'd dig a new trench and run 12/3 cable (red, white, black, ground) and run a MWBC (multiwire branch circuit) attached to a 20Amp double-pole breaker. This will give you two code-compliant 20-amp circuits with a shared neutral. Sounds like overkill, but not much more money, and MUCH more leeway to do whatever you want in the shed. If you feed it with a double-pole GFCI breaker, (expensive), you only have to dig 12". Or, you can feed it with a normal breaker (cheap) and provide GFCI-protection at the shed with outlets.
Agreed. Laying schedule 40 PVC is easy, rent a ditch witch and call it a day.

-- Joe
anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

I agree with Joe- if you rewire this, use conduit not UF wire. I had a lamppost in my yard with UF wire from a pevious owner. It got severed somewhere, when i re-ran it i did it with conduit

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote