Power Transmission (Ranch / Farm) - Electrical - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
Advice worth 2 cents!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 229
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Wait a sec...this discussion is missing a few details.

First, what kind of line is close to the property? Is it a transmission line or a distribution line? what is the voltage? (very important). what is the exact distance?

CDH is on the right track, get in touch with your local utility and get more details on the installation.

Anything close to 1 mile is NOTa DIY job. But, an experienced line contractor might do the job for a residential homeowner for a reasonable price.

Utilities can be touchy about these kinds of installations. There pretty stiff about the kinds on materials used and the condition there in. A good contractor will know the whole story.

Keep shopping around in your location, check with neighbors, talk to the locals...

You cannot do this yourself! setting poles is a lot harder than it looks!!!!

_pete

Advertisement

__________________
---pete
HandyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
My License Ain't 4 Sale..
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga/Hamilton, Al
Posts: 1,813
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
Wait a sec...this discussion is missing a few details.

First, what kind of line is close to the property? Is it a transmission line or a distribution line? what is the voltage? (very important). what is the exact distance?

CDH is on the right track, get in touch with your local utility and get more details on the installation.

Anything close to 1 mile is NOTa DIY job. But, an experienced line contractor might do the job for a residential homeowner for a reasonable price.

Utilities can be touchy about these kinds of installations. There pretty stiff about the kinds on materials used and the condition there in. A good contractor will know the whole story.

Keep shopping around in your location, check with neighbors, talk to the locals...

You cannot do this yourself! setting poles is a lot harder than it looks!!!!

_pete
While I tend to agree, most of the responses to this were not suggesting that the DIY line would tie into the utilities lines. The idea was that the utility would drop a 120/240 line to a meter nearest their distribution, the the homeowner would take that 240 up to 4160 through his own transformer, and distribute it the mile to his house, then back down to 120/240.

I agree that most DIY'rs couldn't safely do this.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
WFO
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701 View Post

I've always looked at it like 240V would do me in so 2400 or 4160 wouldn't make me more dead. Granted the margin or error is even smaller and should be given it's due weight. I hadn't thought of the lightening so I realize I have a lot more investigating to do.

K.
Dead is an absolute, so if that's the only worry, go for it.

If having a limb burned off or dieing slowly from your internal organs rotting away after being cooked or learning to use a prosthetic arm, foot, leg (you name it) or having skin grafts sounds like a drag...please reconsider. These types of injuries at high voltage are much more common than fatalities.

Another thing that nobody mentioned is....what is the Coop's policy on primary metering? Coop's will supply electricity at distribution voltage levels (usuallly to industrial concerns) but they also usually have a billing tariff that has a hefty minimum monthly bill. You might be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. And, as mentioned, all the maintenance is yours.

Solar (last I heard) was running around $7 a watt.....much cheaper to get the line put in.
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #19
CDH
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


As stated earlier setting poles and stringing wire ie doing linework aint easy, if it was everybody would be doing there own, and I believe the original poster showed a transmission line in his drawing ie high voltage 69kv,138kv,230kv,500kv,750kv not distribution voltages ie 4160,12,470,14,400 and they are not going to let him tap off transmission line, that kind of voltage is stepped down at substations through step down transformers and sent back out on distribution feeders. I am a journeyman lineman and have been working on line crews for almost 25 years and I have seen some places that would let people build there own line as long as it meets their specs, but it is still not a job for the homeowner but as I stated in my earlier post he could probably get a local line contractor to build it cheaper than the co-op if they will allow it.
CDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
These types of injuries at high voltage are much more common than fatalities.
So I guess the elec. chair works at only 2400 vac because you're strapped into it and the current stays on for a while and the current goes through your head and they don't wish to merely wound you.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,976
Rewards Points: 2,048
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


The OP said he already had a 120/240 volt service (200 amps) near the power line. Whatever high voltage equipment -- neon signs, electric fences, a 4160 volt line to his house a mile away, cathode ray tube TV test equipment, etc. -- hung off the 120/240 volt service is up to him. For $52,000. the power co. would presumably run a line at distribution voltage (whatever fed the transformer that in turn provides his 120/240 service) the extra lateral mile to his home site and put a transformer and 120/240 volt service there.
__________________
Forget super sized fries. The Washington Redskins could promote healthy eating with First Lady Obama by choosing a (red skinned) turnip for a mascot.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-10-2009 at 05:32 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #22
WFO
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
So I guess the elec. chair works at only 2400 vac because you're strapped into it and the current stays on for a while and the current goes through your head and they don't wish to merely wound you.
If you've ever seen the movie "The Green Mile" with Tom Hanks, the scene where they have a botched execution is similar, though dramatized, to the actual first poor sap that ever got the chair (by all accounts). I heard that it took several tries to get him dead.
As I'm sure you know, it was Edison who promoted the AC electric chair (in his infamous AC vs DC battle with George Westinghouse) as a form of execution for the very reason that it was so hideous.
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
If you've ever seen the movie "The Green Mile" with Tom Hanks, the scene where they have a botched execution is similar, though dramatized, to the actual first poor sap that ever got the chair (by all accounts). I heard that it took several tries to get him dead.
As I'm sure you know, it was Edison who promoted the AC electric chair (in his infamous AC vs DC battle with George Westinghouse) as a form of execution for the very reason that it was so hideous.
Yeah, Mr. Hanks has made some good movies. . .

I heard that Edison wanted to say people who got electrocuted were "Westinghoused."
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #24
WFO
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post

I heard that Edison wanted to say people who got electrocuted were "Westinghoused."
Bingo.
Now that Westinghouse has become ABB, you're still getting "Westinghoused" IMHO!!
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Yeah, Mr. Hanks has made some good movies. . .

I heard that Edison wanted to say people who got electrocuted were "Westinghoused."
This, and other interesting details, I've read in a book about Tesla. Called simply "Tesla". Another interesting anecdote about Mr. Tesla's encounter with Thomas Edison, was when he (Tesla) was an immigrant just off the boat. He was looking for employment. Edison had an offer for him. "Repair the lights of Mr. Morgan's boat and I'll reward you well". When the job was done, T. Edison told him "You're not getting a Dime". "But you promised", said Tesla. "I really did", but tough!!! (Now more than ever) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
Mr. Tesla's encounter with Thomas Edison
BTW, here's a tidbit on Mr. Edison

Additional Requirements for the Diagnosis of ADD/ADHD:

1. The symptoms must be to a degree that is "maladaptive and inconsistent with development level."

This part is highly subjective. Remember: Just because a behavior appears to be maladaptive, it doesn't necessarily mean a child actually has some sort of brain defect, as proved by Thomas Edison's remarkable career after being kicked out of school for his divergent thinking traits.

Another link opined that Tesla was autistic.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 08-12-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #27
My License Ain't 4 Sale..
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga/Hamilton, Al
Posts: 1,813
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Tesla was a genius, there can be no doubt, but it is Thomas Edison and his engineers that ushered us into the modern era. Was he wrong a couple of times about some stuff? Sure, but that doesn't detract from his accomplishments either.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
WFO
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Tesla was a genius, there can be no doubt, but it is Thomas Edison and his engineers that ushered us into the modern era. Was he wrong a couple of times about some stuff? Sure, but that doesn't detract from his accomplishments either.
True, but I have a hard time overlooking electrocuting animals to discredit a rival. Genius doesn't equate to ethical.

By the way, his biggest gaff was overlooking the residue deposited on the glass of his first light bulbs and missing out on developing the vacuum tube.
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW of D.C.
Posts: 5,990
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


I heard Armstrong (FM radio inventor) was driven to suicide by the sociopath CEOs of yesteryear who stole his invention and harassed the daylights out of him, and his widow collected millions in court for their conduct.

Business as usual. . .
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Power transmission (Ranch / Farm)


Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
True, but I have a hard time overlooking electrocuting animals to discredit a rival. Genius doesn't equate to ethical.

By the way, his biggest gaff was overlooking the residue deposited on the glass of his first light bulbs and missing out on developing the vacuum tube.
Yes. It's not the most compassionate thing to do, but we know from other sources that he had something of a conscience. (Cheating someone out of his hard earned pay is surely not one of them). The success of Thomas A. Edison is not so much with his inventions, but with the perseverance that he had, to see them through the development stage. It's been said that he took (in some cases) other people's ideas and worked hard to bring them up to a practical level --without giving credit to the original inventor-- ! (Now more than ever) Don't Drink and Drive!!!

Advertisement

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wring for Lincoln Power Mig Welder vstoyko Electrical 17 01-15-2009 07:15 PM
hooking up dryer....bronx ny code SURFBUG Appliances 6 10-14-2008 10:41 PM
safe way to add extension to power cord sil Electrical 7 10-18-2007 10:58 PM
Problem W/ Power after Switching Outlets... G19-Fanatic Electrical 17 08-28-2006 02:55 PM
Partial power on same fuse! joyjam Electrical 5 07-10-2005 11:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts