Power To A Structure On A Deck - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Power to a structure on a deck

I have a structure built into my deck. The deck is attached to the house. The structure does not have a foundation, it is built on the deck. It is fullty enclosed with windows and a door. It is powered by two 20 amp circuits (actually 4 wires run in PVC from the house run under the deck and up through the floor - all wires are in EMT in the structure, 2 hots, a shared neutral and a ground). At the structure these become 2 GFI protected circuits. The wife wants to insulate the structure and provide heat through a fan powered blower which will require a separate 240 V circuit. I know a separate detached structure would require a sub-panel and its own grounding but is this considered a separate structure with that requirement or can I just run another set if wires in PVC from the house under the deck to the structure? If I ned grounding can it be grounded to the same grounding rod as the home (it is only a few feet from the structure)? Does this circuit need to be GFI protected (the inside is totally dry)? Do any circuits need AFI protection. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

SleepyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Run another set of wires and be done with it.

Advertisement

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Run another set of wires and be done with it.

Do not use the ground rod for grounding. You can use the existing equipment grounding conductor if it is sized properly. I would say that AFCI protection would be required for any new 120V 15/20A circuits you pull for lighting or recepts.

If this is being inspected, take the time to talk to your building department. It could save you some time and money.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

yeah, talk to the building department, they may grant you a variance. or scab a piece of 2x4 between the structure and the house, now it is attached.

how far away is the structure from the house? and what exactly is the 'structure'? is it fully-enclosed or more like a screened gazebo?
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

From you're description, its attached and every circuit you need can originate from the main panel or sub panel located in the house.

But you need to be certain it is attached. I just checked the definitions in the NEC and there is no mention of "attached structure". So we must assume this is qualified or decided by the AHJ.
I remember one time a so called attached structure was not really attached in the eyes of the AHJ.

So, I would ask before doing anything else. It is possible that second existing 20 amp circuit is non-compliant?

I am not making a decision. Only you with the AHJ can make the decision as to what this is.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 152

In my jurisdiction you can build a 10 x12 shed without a permit, anything larger requires one. But if it has electrical in it, any size requires a permit. Northern California.

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum
dmclean701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
I would say that AFCI protection would be required for any new 120V 15/20A circuits you pull for lighting or recepts.

If this is being inspected, take the time to talk to your building department. It could save you some time and money.
Why AFCI for this application? I certainly don't see where it would be beneficial unless local codes required it. Obviously once the 2014 NEC code is adapted locally it will be, I'm not quite sure why, but until then I don't see why it would be required.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote