Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Power Outlet that stays off when power fails

Hello,
I am not a electrician, but I figured this place would be full of great electricians that have real experience. I am setting up a home [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]aquarium[/COLOR][/COLOR] in my office and I have a need for a electrical outlet or power strip that will react when the power goes out at my house. Another words, if the power at my house goes out, I want the power to my aquarium to STAY OFF, even when it comes back on. I don't want a flood

Any ideas everyone?

hachadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

there's most likely a way to have it set up with a start button and a relay that controls the 120V so that when there's a power outage the relay resets and doesn't come on again until the start button is pushed. I'd have to do a google search to jog my memory but you can get a non latching relay and by using two normally open contacts and a simple pushbutton have it so that the button is pushed and the power comes on and stays on, if for any reason you need to stop it a stop button would be pushed. If at any point in time there's a power loss then the relay reverts back to it's original state which is off and stays that way until the start button is pushed again.

there's probably a way easier way to do it, or a thingamagig that home depot sells. Don't head to your local electrical supply store until some of the others chime in.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
hachadwick (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

There may be other options, but here something that might work if there is a computer near by. Most people, although there are settings on a PC, dont have their PC's powering back up after a power outage. Hook this thing up, and if your PC is off, no power. http://www.pwrusb.com/powerUSB-basic.html

This was the only thing I could find other than making my own power strip with a relay...

good luck, im curious on what is out there to!
blackhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

They actually now make a power cord that you can control via Blu-Tooth. Also, they make network controlled a/c power strips that you can control. There is also controllers that you can get through http://www.smarthome.com. Now, what you could also do, is use a UPS that is large enough to handle the pumps and also include a flood sensor with it, to warn you of overflow.

Now, if you are technical orientated, or know someone, you can build your own with a gainspan module http://www.gainspan.com/ Another toy http://www.cpscom.com/gprod/cps.htm
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachadwick View Post
Hello,
I am not a electrician, but I figured this place would be full of great electricians that have real experience. I am setting up a home [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]aquarium[/color][/color] in my office and I have a need for a electrical outlet or power strip that will react when the power goes out at my house. Another words, if the power at my house goes out, I want the power to my aquarium to STAY OFF, even when it comes back on. I don't want a flood

Any ideas everyone?
I have a GFCI power cord that will stay off until reset after a power interruption. That could be an option.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
Code05 (05-16-2012), J. V. (01-11-2013), k_buz (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Have done this before have a relay with a 120v coil and capacitor able to keep it going with small power glitches. Wire the coil so it is connected to the output of the relay and have a push button the jumpers power to the output powering the coil once relay will turn off when you lose power and not work till you hit the push button.

Although I usually use a transformer and 12v coil relay and capacitor but this should work with 120v coil to make it easy.

You could also invest in a aqua controler that will allow you to set timers and prevent the pump from turning on after a power outage. I have one but they are about 300 bucks.

Last edited by rrolleston; 05-15-2012 at 09:44 PM.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,148

power fail cut outs, are easily made,
They used to be available,
and were used on air conditioners.
I can't find them in the currant catalogue.

You just use a relay with a mains rated coil,
The power for the coil goes thru one set of contacts
on the relay.
And a push button is wired in parallel
with that set of contacts.

So to start with,
you press the button,
This provides power to the coil,
Once closed, the contact take over,
and provide power to the coil.
If power fails, the relay drops out,
And then some one must press the button to restart.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here one item is a example which they will come manual resetable

manual reset type GFCI device.

So this is a manual reset verison there is a automatique verison so there is two verison on market due you want manual so there is one example on the link so that mean each time you have unplug or power outage and when the power come back or replug you have to hit the GFCI reset button each time.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
power fail cut outs, are easily made,
They used to be available,
and were used on air conditioners.
I can't find them in the currant catalogue.
These switches were also very popular on Minicomputer peripherals back in the 70's. By the 80's they had been replaced by more precise solid state devices. I used to scavange these all the time.

To build one yourself you will need:
120 VAC Coil Normally Closed Relay (SPST-NC) rated to switch 120 VAC (Note: it is usually easier to find DPDT 120 VAC relays which can easily be used instead.)
Mounting socket for the relay to make it easier to work with 120 VAC
Momentary On switch
Enclosure
The circuit will look something like this
Name:  309px-Relay_symbols_svg - Copy.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  16.7 KB

In less than 10 minutes I came up with these two options:
Option 1: A standalone pluging in enclosure such as a table top enclosure
Since this is a plug in device, it can be rated to handle loads that are less than the circuit, so in my example used a 12 Amp relay. I found
Alltech L2-L-A110 Relay, Cube, 110VAC, 12A, DPDT, LED Indicator
Alltech VL-2 Socket for L-Series DPDT Cube Relay
The relay and socket are under $20. The cost of the switch and enclosure will depend on how fancy you want to get.

Option 2: Embedded (controversy starts here)
Build the switch and relay into an electrical box and mount in the wall like a normal switch. I this case since the relay is part of the houses electrical system it must be rated higher than the rated capacity of the circuit. The Potter & Brumfield T-92 Relay DPDT 120VAC 30A T92P7A52-120 (about $20) has built in screws so is perfect for this application. A quick look at the spec, this relay should fit in a 2 gang box with a switch. I would go with a 3 gang and mount 120 VAC panel light in between (about $20). Leviton makes Decora style Momentary On switches (about $20). The other thing I would do is use a green or red outlet color coded to the panel light, so I would remember there was something perculiar about that outlet.

The parts are available DigiKey and Avnet.

Last edited by goosebarry; 05-16-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Add reference to sources I found
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #10

Hubbell GFP2TTM GFCI Cord 5-15 Plug Right Angle to 3x5-15R 2 Feet 15a/125v 14/3 SJTW Manual Reset

jon singer is offline   Reply With Quote